Q. Is it possible to treat my sinusitis, which I have had for 22 months, and regain my sense of smell?

Dr. Prajakta Keluskar
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 19, 2021 and last reviewed on: Sep 20, 2021

I have been suffering from symptoms of chronic sinusitis without polyps for the past 22 months. I am using Budesonide rinses twice daily, which has successfully treated my maxillary sinus infection. My ethmoid sinuses are improving too. I no longer have pain. However, I sometimes have a mild pressure that comes and goes in my sinuses. I do not have an allergy or asthma. I suffer from a reduced sense of smell and taste and mild eustachian tube dysfunction. Is it possible to treat the symptoms and regain smell?

Thanks.

#

I hope you are doing well. If possible, send me your CT (computed tomography) scan reports. If your sinus pathways are getting blocked, then you might encounter these problems. I can suggest you temporary medications, but it will not be a permanent cure. So, I am expecting your report.

You can continue using nasal spray, and for the headache, you can take tablet Sinarest (Chlorpheniramine maleate, Paracetamol, Phenylephrine) as and when required.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I could not send my CT reports, as my doctors did not give me access to my reports. All symptoms are controlled except a weak sense of smell, mild ethmoid inflammation, and weak eustachian tube dysfunction. My ENT specialist said I am reacting well to treatment, and inflammation has disappeared in the lower part of the nose with no evidence of disease.

Are most of your patients able to improve and maintain a good sense of smell after medical treatment?

#

Whenever there is an inflammation in the sinuses, especially in the ethmoids, you might feel anosmia. If you are recovering with the treatment, then continue the same.

|