Q. What could cause my stuffy ears and sinuses with pain and a change in my tone?

Dr. Alok Rathi

I am a 45-year-old female. I have had stuffy ears and sinuses with pain for the past two months. There is a change in my tone. I consulted an ENT doctor, and he prescribed me tablet Alercet-D, Mucolite, and a spray. He also suggested me do steam inhalation. After one week, he changed my medicine to just Motek FX and a spray. He asked me to do the hearing tests, and it was normal. Even after one month of these medicines, I did not feel any difference.

Kindly help.

#

I have gone through your history and investigation reports (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity).

You have reasons to develop nose or sinus issues that can extend through a tube connecting the nose and ear. Your CT (computed tomography) scan shows deviated septum and hypertrophied turbinates. These changes affect the airflow in the nose and nasopharynx, eventually affecting the sinuses and ears.

The treatment here is by medicines, which if fails, one should consider surgery. It is advisable to take Mondeslor and steroid nasal spray for atleast three weeks to see the best response.

From your statement, it is not clear that how long you have used steroid nasal spray. If you have not used it for more than three weeks daily, continue the spray for three weeks. If you have already used it, we should relook your nose through endoscopy and decide on a further course of action.

Take care.

|