Q. I treated a patient who had a red syphilitic rash on his throat. Will I be affected?

Dr. Peter Grutas
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am a dentist, and I had a patient with a secondary syphilis stage two days ago. I only saw it after the procedure that he is affected. What I did was merely an examination of his teeth, and no drilling, wind, etc. But I touched his saliva, and from what I understood later after seeing the diagnosis is, he had a red syphilitic rash on his throat. I was using nitrile gloves. What are the risk I could get from this infection?

#

Thank you for reaching out. I understand your concern. Based on what you presented, your risk is very low since you did not touch the lesion itself, and you were wearing gloves; therefore, there was no skin to skin contact. It is least likely you could have gotten syphilis based on the scenario you presented. I hope I was able to answer your concern. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Thank you for your quick reply.

Your answer made me feel better. And could it be possible to get this infection when touching the rash wearing gloves?

#

I understand your concern. Getting the infection requires direct skin to skin contact. Wearing gloves can prevent you from getting the disease. I hope I was able to answer your concern. Is there anything else I can help you with?

| 

Will Isotretinoin affect my HIV and syphilis tests?

Query: Hi doctor, I was taking Isotretinoin tablet from four months, and I stopped taking it. I had dry mouth, sores, thick line inside cheeks, some rough patches inside cheeks and lips also. But even after stopping Isotretinoin, I still have these problems. I have a lot of hair loss, nearly 300 to 400 per...  Read Full »

I was misdiagnosed to have syphilis and had treatment. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old male. Before a month, I visited a hospital in my hometown for pain on the penis. They conducted VDRL and TPHA test and said that the test came back as weak positive. So, it is the first stage of syphilis. They prescribed me an injection and some tablets for five days. A...  Read Full »

Factors influencing Sexually Transmitted Diseases and its Prevention Strategies

Article Overview: Sexually transmitted diseases are a group of communicable diseases that are transmitted predominantly through sexual contact. This article discusses about the consequences, risk factors and prevention of STDs. Read Article

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Sexually transmitted diseases are a group of communicable diseases that are transmitted predominantly through sexual contact. The sexually transmitted diseases are caused by bacteria, chlamydia and virus. STDs caused by bacteria include syphilis, chancroid, granuloma i...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»