Q. Is it possible to get depression due to SLE?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

I am a 22-year-old female diagnosed with SLE at age 18. I have a difficult time concentrating and keeping my focus on things that I have to do. On some days I have trouble falling asleep and almost every day I have trouble getting a good night's sleep. I feel myself tossing and turning throughout the night. I try to get an adequate amount of exercise in throughout the week and walk almost every day. I know that chronic diseases can lead to depression but I can honestly say that it is not knowing that I have a disease that makes me feel unhappy. I just feel like I am mentally unstable sometimes. Sometimes it feels that everyday life situations are a lot more stressful to me than they used to be. And I feel like I am always on the verge of a mental breakdown. I have been feeling depressed off and on for at least two years. My lupus has been totally under control with the Plaquenil that I take daily. My BP runs a slightly over the normal at about 125/84, resting pulse in low 70's and BS WDL.

Do you have a question on Systemic Lupus Erythematosus or Depression?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

M.B.B.S., D.P.M., MEMBER OF INDIAN PSYCHIATRIC SOCIETY., SPECIALIST IN MOOD AND ANXIETY DISORDERS
Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology Sleep Medicine

I can understand what you are going through, and I will try to be as helpful as possible. There are two possibilities:

1. The depression is not because of lupus but comorbidity. This is likely if there is a family history of depression.

2. Plaquenil could have some contribution to your problems. Insomnia is a known side effect of it. So, you can try taking it in the morning if you are taking it at night. Also, there are case reports of mood changes secondary to Hydroxychloroquine. Since your lupus is so nicely controlled with Plaquenil, it would not be wise to stop the drug just because of this.

What I will recommend is to take it, first thing in the morning. A good sleep could in itself have a mood stabilizing and elevating effect. If this does not help much, you could ask your doctor for an antidepressant which promotes sleep. Agomelatine is one such drug that comes to mind, but it needs regular liver check-ups and has interactions with Ciprofloxacin, Omeprazole, Lorazepam, and Fluvoxamine. I could not find a known interaction with Plaquenil but I think your rheumatologist is the ideal person to ask. If mood swings are your major issue, a mood stabilizer could help. Take care.

Pain in my hands and wrists. What does my blood work suggest?
Query: Hi doctor, I am having pain in my hands and wrist and it started a few months ago. It is typically in the morning. I visited a doctor and she did blood tests. The result flagged in my blood tests was anti-Sm/RNP 2.8 and she has referred me to a rheumatologist, who cannot see me for the next two ...  Read Full >>
Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, the antibody as such does not match your symptoms. It is an antibody for autoimmune disease more like SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus). Since it is positive, I would like to know if your ANA (antinuclear antibody) was positive as well, or only this came positive. ...  Read Full

Are crying without reason, feeling useless and demotivated related to depression?
Query: Hello doctor, Do I have depression? I need to know because I think it will be a whole lot easier if I know and admit it myself. Last night I was crying without reason, it has been like this for five years now. I can go on not going out of my room for a week without eating and every time I worry too...  Read Full >>
Dr. Aneel Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Depression can be normal and can be a disease. Depression is diagnosed when a person has low or depressed mood for most of the day every day at least two weeks, lack of interest and pleasure in daily activities, other symptoms are sleep disturbances, appetite changes, p...  Read Full

Postpartum Depression
Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression.  Read Article
Dr. K Sneha

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress ...  Read Article

Ask a Doctor Now