Q. My tailbone pops in multiple places with pain. Why?

Dr. Jay Indravadan Patel
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

I was wondering why my tailbone seems to pop in multiple places like my back. It only happens when I stretch in the morning and tense the muscles around the area. Also, I would like to know why my back keeps hurting right where the spine meets the pelvis, i.e., at the bottom of my back but above my butt. I am 18. Will it make any difference?

#

Thank you for providing a brief history.

It sounds to me as the SI (sacroiliac) joint dysfunction. Due to which, there will be a kind of biomechanical changes in the bone and the joint compression leading to pressure on the joint receptors. Also, there might be a weakness of the muscles of the hip and lower back which may be leading to this discomfort.

I would recommend you to take up an x-ray because it will reveal if there is any structural or anatomical alignment change.

Also, having a hot water fomentation and exercises will help strengthen the muscles of the core, lower back, and hip and help reduce the symptoms.

Please let me know if you had any history of fall on the hip, any other thing like sitting for long hours for study, etc.

|