Q. Are my teeth discolored due to cavities?

Recently I have seen some discoloration on the side of my teeth, especially back towards my molars. However, I do not feel any pain, aches, or sensitivity. Is it a cavity? I am not sure what I should be looking for if I have a cavity.

Dr. Muzaffer Hissain Parray
BDS., JR ORAL MEDICINE AND RADIOLOGY
Dentistry

I have gone through your question and I can understand your concern. Yes, if it is brown or black that means it is in the initial stage of the cavity. It takes a year or two to start symptoms like sensitivity or lodging of food in these cavities. You need to keep your teeth clean through brushing twice daily. If you can upload a picture here so that I can tell you that if there is any immediate treatment or filling needed. The proper way to address the problem is to get a dental filling done (restoration).

How can I find out if my filled teeth have caries under the restoration?
Query: Hello doctor, I have three first molars that have been filled with amalgam 3 years ago. I need to know how can I find out if one of them has caries under the restoration, because one more first molar was also restored by amalgam and 3 years later I was experiencing some pain. When the doctor checked...  Read Full »
Dr. Naveen Thomas
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, there are possibilities of caries (tooth decay) underneath amalgam restorations. It would be better if you could check the panoramic radiograph, see if there are any dark patches below the amalgam fillings in the teeth. It would be best if you could send a phot...  Read Full »

I have a small hole in the middle of my tooth. What should I do?
Query: Hello doctor, I have a small hole in the middle of my tooth and the top of my tooth. I do not have any other symptoms. The only medication I am taking is a multivitamin. What should I do?  Read Full »
Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the explanation, it looks like a tooth decay but does not look deep. So my suggestion is to consult a dentist and get evaluated and if the decay is superficial then filling of the tooth with a tooth-colored filling material will prevent further decaying....  Read Full »

Two of my wisdom teeth are impacted. Is it better to remove?
Query: Hi doctor, I visited a dentist and he completed deep cleaning of all four quadrants. I got composite fillings on one side of the mouth for five cavities (right side). However, I still have four cavities on the left side. I have two options. Wait for three more months and take care of it, as my in...  Read Full »
Dr. Prerna Jain
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Cavities or tooth decay is chronic infections that spread further at a slow rate in most cases. The other thing to consider is any pain or associated symptoms with the cavities, which are indicative of active acute infection that has already spread deeper. So, if the cavi...  Read Full »

What is the reason for discoloration of teeth in a 15 months old?
Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 15 months old. Her weight is 8.2 kg and height is 80 cm. Her food includes apple, rice, green gram, vegetables along with breast milk. But, I am not adding sugar or salt. I am giving her Ostocalcium, vitamin D and multivitamins as suggested by her pediatrician. She has got ...  Read Full »
Dr. Naveen Thomas
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The white discoloration (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is the demineralization of enamel on the surface of teeth. It occurs due to prolonged sticking of food items, especially mother's milk after feeding. It is very simple to prevent the formation of cav...  Read Full »

My teeth are yellow.Is scaling only a temporary process to clean the teeth?
Query: Hello Doctor, I am 19 years old. My teeth are yellow from childhood (from 10 years of age). A black layer is formed at the backside of teeth. When I see my teeth it seems very dirty and too much of creamy layer is formed on my teeth especially in lower canines and lower incisors. In the lower teeth...  Read Full »
Dr. Subha
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yellowing of teeth is mainly due to one of the following or a combination of these: Tartar or plaque deposits (soft yellowish deposits) on the teeth. Calculus deposits (calcified hard deposits) on the teeth. Fluorosis - internal discoloration of the teeth due to ...  Read Full »

Dental Trauma - Prevention and Management in Children
Article Overview: 25% of school children experience dental trauma, and 33% of adults have experienced trauma to the permanent dentition, with the majority of the injuries occurring before adolescent phase. Proper diagnosis, treatment planning, and follow‐up are necessary to assure a favorable outcome.  Read Article »
Dr. Paras Angrish
Dentist

Traumatic dental injuries frequently occur in children and young adults as they are more involved in sports activity. The other factor for dental injury is the development stage of teeth. So, there is no adequate anchorage to support the tooth in case of trauma or injury. Luxation injuries that are, ...  Read Article »

Can scar reopening after surgery cause urinary problem in hypospadias patient?
My problem is erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. Kindly help.
Is there any harm to 3 months old baby due to a mobile tower?

Also Read Answers From