Q. What are the brownish spots that have formed between my upper back teeth?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

What are the brownish spots that have formed between my upper back teeth? They are on both sides. I just noticed these brown spots tonight while brushing my teeth. They do not come off when I brush them. I have a habit of chewing tobacco.

#

I went through your query and the attached images (attachment removed to protect patient identity); I am very sorry for the inconvenience. As a specialist, I am here to help you. The brown spots over the teeth that do not clean by brushing are stains and plaque. They are formed due to tobacco and food remnants. They form a layer over the tooth that is not getting removed upon brushing.

As your dentist, I would advise the stoppage of all form of tobacco.

I recommend -

- Scaling and oral prophylaxis.

- Use a mild mouthwash (Colgate Plax) but do not continue for an extended period. Resume again when needed.

- Colgate Visible White toothpaste.

- Rinse whenever you eat.

- Brush twice but gently and not forceful, two minutes are enough, and use a soft-bristle toothbrush.

- Use a tongue scraper and do flossing.

- Avoid sticky or sweet food as much as possible.

Follow these simple steps for a healthy smile. I hope it was helpful. Kindly let me know if any further queries; I am here to help you whenever needed.

Thanks a lot.

Stains and plaque from food and tobacco consumption. Nothing to worry about.

Scaling, and oral prophylaxis. Follow the recommended steps.

Revisit whenever needed or if any further query. You will always be welcomed.

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

I use to visit a dentist every six months. Should I schedule an appointment sooner for cleaning? Or can I wait a couple of months until my regularly scheduled cleaning?

Thanks.

#

I went through your query. There is no hurry; you can easily wait until your normal scaling and oral prophylaxis (cleaning) appointment. Maintain oral hygiene. Use a soft-bristle toothbrush and brush gently twice daily. But, I would request you to stop all form of tobacco as soon as possible. They harm dental health extensively. I hope it was helpful. Kindly let me know if any further query. I would be delighted to answer you.

|