Q. I get recurrent radiating pain in my right jaw. Is this temporomandibular joint problem?

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

I developed severe pain in my right jaw that was felt in my ear and bottom teeth. It went away. However, this pain came back and my doctor did a CT scan. Nothing really showed. However, I went to the ENT and even though the scan did not show anything major issues, he looked at the pictures and said that the joints do have some abnormality, and I have temporomandibular disorder. Can this happen even though the radiology did not show that?

#

Yes, temporomandibular joint dysfunction can be diagnosed with CT scan. As you are having severe pain in your right jaw, you can take the medication for the pain and most important is to be cautious while chewing food. I would suggest you to avoid hard food and chewing gums, as this can further aggravate your symptoms.

Treatment include tablet Paracetamol 500 mg + Chlorzoxazone 500 mg whenever you feel pain.

You can also consult with physiotherapy, they might teach you some exercise for temporomandibular joint dysfunction after your pain subsides.

|