Q. I get recurrent radiating pain in my right jaw. Is this temporomandibular joint problem?

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

I developed severe pain in my right jaw that was felt in my ear and bottom teeth. It went away. However, this pain came back and my doctor did a CT scan. Nothing really showed. However, I went to the ENT and even though the scan did not show anything major issues, he looked at the pictures and said that the joints do have some abnormality, and I have temporomandibular disorder. Can this happen even though the radiology did not show that?

#

Yes, temporomandibular joint dysfunction can be diagnosed with CT scan. As you are having severe pain in your right jaw, you can take the medication for the pain and most important is to be cautious while chewing food. I would suggest you to avoid hard food and chewing gums, as this can further aggravate your symptoms.

Treatment include tablet Paracetamol 500 mg + Chlorzoxazone 500 mg whenever you feel pain.

You can also consult with physiotherapy, they might teach you some exercise for temporomandibular joint dysfunction after your pain subsides.

| 

The back of my right leg is paining after a fall. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor,I fell at my work yesterday. The doctor said that there is no fracture, but the back of my right leg is hurting. Please help.  Read Full »

Why do I have jaw pain after root canal treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a root canal done in one of my lower right teeth. It was done in one sitting with the help of a laser. Everything was fine for a week. Then, one day my right jaw started aching and I was not able to open the jaw more than half an inch. There wa mild pain below the ear and it inc...  Read Full »

Paracetamol tablets for tooth pain

Query: Hello Doctor, Can I take two Amoxicillin 500 tablets for my first dose of medicines for a tooth infection? Is there anything at home that will take the pain away?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Now