Q. Why do I have pain and tenderness in my jaw, teeth sensitivity, and neck pain?

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 31, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 27, 2021

I am getting pain and tenderness in my jaw and face. I also have sensitivity in my teeth with pain. I have pressure around my head or temples. I have pain on the top of the scalp. I have blocked ears. I have clicking while opening and closing my mouth. I have pain in my shoulders and neck especially on the front of the neck under the chin. I have dizziness along with it. I was using a mouth guard for a year due to grinding.

#

I have gone through your concern. In my opinion, you seem to have a temporomandibular joint issue. It causes referred pain with upper neck stability issues. I suggest you kindly consult a physiotherapist for having a thorough physical examination and take treatment accordingly. For now, I suggest you follow these measures. Do frequent icing on the jaw around the TMJ joint. Kindly massage the cheek muscles on the face from the temporal area to the upper neck. Gently stretch your muscles while opening the mouth. Stretch the muscles and sustain the stretch for a while for ten seconds initially and slowly increase the timing of holding the stretch up to 30 seconds. Measure your amount of mouth opening and keep it for reference. So, you can know the progress and efficiency of stretching. Do icing before and after stretch. This can help you a lot.

|