Q. When I lift my arm in a bent position behind the head, it drops. Is there any problem?

Dr. Anuj Gupta

If I lift up my arm in a bent position behind my head it just drops. I feel like something is out of place. I also have some discomfort in the shoulder area. Please help.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery
#

Your shoulder x-rays appear to be normal. Could you please tell me if there was any history of injury to the shoulder? Also, do you ever have shoulder dislocation?

| 

No history of dislocation or injury. I think it may be a muscle pull or something in my sleep. I was trying to replicate the muscle or bone coming out of place today but it was not budging. Maybe it is healing now?

Dr. Anuj Gupta

#

Well, the symptoms you are describing points towards subscapularis tendon injury or inflammation. So what you do is learn subscapularis strengthening exercises from the internet. Do it for 15 minutes twice a day and if your pain increases then you can take any painkiller available with you. Also, please tell me since when you are having this pain? Is it recently started or long-standing which is not improving?

| 

I had this pain for the past one week now. I just have some discomfort especially when sleeping but no immense pain. I will do the strengthening exercises but I was afraid to do it. I have resistance bands in home. I will do some light exercises and will let you know how things progress. For sure the situation is improving now.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

#

So, it is a fresh pain, definitely it will improve with medications and gentle exercises. Do update me regarding your progress.

| 

What could be the pain and swelling in Achilles tendon with tingling sensation?

Query: Hello doctor, I dislocated my right ankle before 14 years and had an operation after one year. Ever since then I have a sheer sharp pain go up to my Achilles tendon lasting for 20 seconds. What causes it? Recently, it is getting worse and swelling has formed around the tendon and there is pain arou...  Read Full »

I have pain and clicking of joints Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have a joint pain with lots of clicking. On a scale of 1 to 10, it is only 1 or 2. But, the clicking is to the point where it is annoying. Also, my ankle hurts a lot for no apparent reason. I do not know if this is relevant, but my foot used to turn in.  Read Full »

Even after consuming fewer calories and exercising, I am not losing weight. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a female, who weighs 155 lbs, and I am 5.7 feet tall. I cut off the muscle weight because I have a lot of muscle, including the muscle, my weight is 160 lbs. I have been trying to lose weight for the past two months, but nothing has seemed to work. I go to the gym almost every day, ...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now