Q. When I lift my arm in a bent position behind the head, it drops. Is there any problem?

Dr. Anuj Gupta

If I lift up my arm in a bent position behind my head it just drops. I feel like something is out of place. I also have some discomfort in the shoulder area. Please help.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery
#

Your shoulder x-rays appear to be normal. Could you please tell me if there was any history of injury to the shoulder? Also, do you ever have shoulder dislocation?

| 

No history of dislocation or injury. I think it may be a muscle pull or something in my sleep. I was trying to replicate the muscle or bone coming out of place today but it was not budging. Maybe it is healing now?

Dr. Anuj Gupta

#

Well, the symptoms you are describing points towards subscapularis tendon injury or inflammation. So what you do is learn subscapularis strengthening exercises from the internet. Do it for 15 minutes twice a day and if your pain increases then you can take any painkiller available with you. Also, please tell me since when you are having this pain? Is it recently started or long-standing which is not improving?

| 

I had this pain for the past one week now. I just have some discomfort especially when sleeping but no immense pain. I will do the strengthening exercises but I was afraid to do it. I have resistance bands in home. I will do some light exercises and will let you know how things progress. For sure the situation is improving now.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

#

So, it is a fresh pain, definitely it will improve with medications and gentle exercises. Do update me regarding your progress.

|