Q. Will extensor tendon disruption heal on its own and how long will it take?

Dr. Atul Prakash

Will extensor tendon disruption heal on its own? If so, how long will it take? Is it possible for a tendon to swell? If so, does it heal on its own and how long will it take?

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

Complete disruption of tendons needs surgical repair in most locations (Tendoachilles is an exception) to regain function.

These tendons tend to spring back and usually do not heal till the edges are brought back and held in place surgically.

The ends if not brought back tend to become bulbous and may appear as bulbs at the ends in a failed process to heal.

The second part of your question seems to point towards a swollen intact tendon. If this is what you asked then, yes the tendons sometimes thicken in response to injury or inflammatory condition. This may appear as localized swelling called tendinosis, which usually does not get better unless the root cause is tackled.

|