Q. Will extensor tendon disruption heal on its own and how long will it take?

Dr. Atul Prakash
Published on Nov 06, 2019

Will extensor tendon disruption heal on its own? If so, how long will it take? Is it possible for a tendon to swell? If so, does it heal on its own and how long will it take?

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

Complete disruption of tendons needs surgical repair in most locations (Tendoachilles is an exception) to regain function.

These tendons tend to spring back and usually do not heal till the edges are brought back and held in place surgically.

The ends if not brought back tend to become bulbous and may appear as bulbs at the ends in a failed process to heal.

The second part of your question seems to point towards a swollen intact tendon. If this is what you asked then, yes the tendons sometimes thicken in response to injury or inflammatory condition. This may appear as localized swelling called tendinosis, which usually does not get better unless the root cause is tackled.

| 

I am not able to walk properly since a bus ran over my foot. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am not able to walk properly since a bus ran over my foot. Please help. I am attaching an x-ray of the foot.  Read Full »

Please comment if my RTA injury is a permanent one.

Query: Hello doctor, I had an injury in an automobile accident. Please address if this is a permanent injury. I have an MRI and medical examination. Since the accident, I can no longer sleep on the left side or use the left arm under normal conditions without pain.  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now