Q. Please tell me the pros and cons of taking Cortisone injection for tennis elbow.

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 28, 2021

My mother is 71 years old, and she is suffering from pain in the right arm for more than a month now. She has pain in the elbow, shoulder, wrist, and fingers. She is not able to grip even light objects with the fingers. We consulted an orthopedic doctor, who is suspecting tennis elbow. He gave her Emanzen D, Disperzyme, and Pentab DSR. She took these medicines for six days, but there is no improvement. She is also undergoing physiotherapy as advised by the doctor, but there is only a mild reduction in pain during the procedure and the pain increases soon after. There is a slight decrease in pain when she takes rest, but it aggravates when she uses the arm. I have heard about Cortisone injections, which can be giving locally for tennis elbow. Please tell me the pros and cons of taking this injection for her condition.

#

• It is very unusual for a 71 year old woman to get tennis elbow, so I am not sure that it is the correct diagnosis.
  • Assuming the diagnosis is correct, then I will recommend waiting and continuing physiotherapy, ultrasound therapy, TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) therapy, ice massage, and gentle stretches of the extensors tendons.
  • I suggest giving her safer NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like Etodolac or Naproxen or try applying Aceclofenac gel locally. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.
  • My concern is with the diagnosis, and I feel it may be coming from the neck as that will involve all the parts that you have mentioned that are sore and that the grip is weak.
  • I suggest you get an x-ray of the neck and proceed from there, or maybe an MRI of the neck. I will withhold the steroid till the diagnosis is clear.

For further queries consult a fitness expert online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/fitness-expert

She is applying Volitra gel several times a day. Please suggest the brand name available for Aceclofenac gel. Also how many times in a day should it be applied?

#

• There is very little difference between the two as Volitra gel is Diclofenac, and Aceclofenac is the same group of drug (Movon gel).

For more information consult a fitness expert online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/fitness-expert

|