Q. I have a constant headache on one side. Please help.

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 19, 2021

I am a 20 year old male, and I have constant headaches on one side of the head for 19 consecutive months. When I was studying for exams two years back, I had a sudden headache that was concentrated on the right back side of my head. It was uncomfortable enough for me to miss classes for the next two days, after which the pain lessened but did not go away, and I have had it since. Also, my sinus on the right side is often blocked then the left side.

The headache is always in the same place, the back right side of my head. I take Aspirin, occasionally for it. Depending on what I am doing, the pain may get slightly worse, but more or less it is a constant dull and achy feeling, a very similar feeling to if you have a bruise and someone gently presses their fingers against it. There are periods when it feels better, but there has not been a time since onset when it has gone away. I have been to a doctor once, and after briefly asking few questions, he advised that I massage that area of my head. I did, but the headache remained. Thank you, and I would greatly appreciate any help.

#

• I am a headache consultant, and I need further information from you to classify the type of headache you have and the treatment required:
  1. Is the headache pulsating in nature?
  2. Any vomitings associated with the headaches?
  3. Any visual issues associated?
  4. Any sleeping disturbances?
  5. How severe is your headache on the scale of 0 to 10?
  6. Does taking Aspirin put it at ease?
  7. How frequent is it? Please mention approximate frequency like daily, once a week, once a month.
  • Revert with the asked details for better help.

Revert with more information to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Thank you very much for replying. The headache is not pulsating in nature, it is a constant dull achy feeling. The feeling changes slightly anytime I move my eyes, but generally, it is constantly the same. I do not have vomiting since the headache began. No visual issues either. I get very vivid dreams that for a while induce sweating in my sleep. The night sweats have stopped, but the dreams are still very vivid. However, I have always dreamt somewhat vividly. On a scale of 1 to 10, the pain is a 5. Since I have been taking Aspirin, the headache has gotten very slightly better, but it does not make the headache go away. There are no periods where it has not been there since its onset. It is very slightly worse when I first wake up, but generally, it is a fairly constant and consistent feeling. Thank you again.

#

• Based on the history given by you, your symptoms are classically suggestive of chronic tension-type headache. It is not that one develops it if he or she is under some stress, but without it also a lot of people develop it.
  • The treatment for it would be drugs like Amitriptyline and Escitalopram. These are to be taken under the guidance of your doctor for a long term and once started, a good response is seen within 2 to 3 weeks.
  • I would also recommend you for yoga and meditation, as they help you naturally to fight with such headaches. Please share my opinion with your doctor.

If you have any further query, please ask me.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|