Q. Is tablet Fioricet safe during pregnancy?

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka

Sometimes, I suffer from horrible tension headaches that turn into full-blown migraines. I do visit a neurologist for the same problem. He suggested me magnesium and vitamin B. We are planning to have a child.

The tablet Fioricet is effective for my headache problem. I want to know your opinion on taking the tablet Fioricet if I plan for pregnancy. I want to treat my headaches. Can you help?

#

I understand your concern and would help you out. The only drug safe in pregnancy is Acetaminophen as a painkiller. There are many reported cases of seizures in newborns whose mothers took tablet Fioricet (Acetaminophen, Butalbital, and Caffeine) during pregnancy. That is the reason your doctor does not recommend you take this drug.

Lamotrigine is another safe drug to use in pregnancy, which can help to reduce the frequency and severity of migraine and tension headaches. It would help if you discussed with your doctor this possible treatment option.

Hope you will find this information helpful.

Kind regards.

|