Q. What is the treatment for tension headache and migraine for a 10-year-old?

Dr. Florilyn Joyce Chulsi Bentrez

My son has had headaches since he was 7. Now he is 10 years old. Initially it happened every day for three to four months, and then it changed to two to six times a month. It is in the frontal area. His MRI reports, oculist tests, EEG, and neurological tests are normal. However, he keeps complaining every day. The headache comes and goes but happens too often. Please help, doctor.

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

Please answer my few questions-

1. Does your son have a progressive headache?

2. Is the headache throbbing or pulsating?

3. Does he feel it more often in the afternoon?

4. Did he have his eyes checked?

5. Did the MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) include a venogram?

6. Does he have any other medical conditions?

7. What medications relieve him from the pain?

Sometimes the pain goes away quickly, but sometimes it is stronger. I generally give him Paracetamol, and the pain stops, but often it returns. It usually happens in the morning and afternoon, and sometimes in the evening. He continues to do his activities but sometimes rarely has to lay down. He feels pressure on his forehead. We did an eye checkup, and it was ok. We also did an MRI of blood vessels, and it is fine, too. What is a venogram? He has no other medical conditions. The neurologist said it was a migraine with a tension headache. It worries me as now it is the fourth month, and it feels like it will not stop. Thank you

#

I understand your concern.

Bifrontal location is usually a tension-type of headache. In children, migraine is generally bilateral. Both are primary headaches. The tests were done to exclude secondary headaches like those of lesions occupying space like tumors.

If the headache is persistent and progressive, I suggest a lumbar tap (lumbar puncture or spinal tap). Meanwhile, avoid triggers to the headache such as too much light (gadgets), poor sleep, hunger, dehydration, too much pressure, or foods rich in Monosodium Glutamate (MSG).

My suggestions for your son-

1. He can try other pain-relieving medications like Ibuprofen if there is no contraindication.

2. He must try to avoid stress.

3. He must wear sunglasses, a hat, or carry an umbrella in hot weather.

4. He must drink plenty of water.

5. He must avoid ice-cold food touching his palate in the mouth.

|