Q. How many TT injections should an adult take in a year?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

Can TT injection be taken on the buttock? Yesterday nurse gave me a TT injection on my buttock. Is it acceptable, or should I take it on my arm? And after how many hours should TT injection be taken? I have taken it within 24 hours. Is it ok? Please advise.

#

TT (Tetanus Toxoid) injection is given as an intramuscular injection in the deltoid or buttock muscle; however, most intramuscular injection is also given in the arm deltoid muscle. One should take a TT injection as early as possible or preferably within 24 hours. So, it is fine that you took an injection within 24 hours.

Will the injection work the same in the buttocks, just like it works in the arm, or should I take it in the arm again? Please explain.

.

#

Do not worry. It will work in the buttock. There is more fat in the buttock than in the arm, which decreases some absorption of medicine injected in the buttock area. That is why deltoid is the common site for intramuscular injection: however, there is no need of taking a TT injection in the arm again. I hope this helps.

I retook TT injection, two doses a few months ago and yesterday. Will it cause an overdose? I was terrified. Because I took an injection in the buttocks, I decided to take in my arm, and then I took in my arm. Both injections were within 24 hours. Now I am worried about overdose. Will it work? Am I safe? Please help.

#

I understand your concern, but I am not able to gather details. Please clarify. You say that you have taken two injection TT shots a few months before, one now in the buttock area, and again took a TT injection shot in the arm within 24 hours. I hope this is what you are trying to say. How many total injections shot did you take this year? TT vaccination in adults is as follow: The first and second vaccine shot is given four weeks apart, and the third shot is given 6 to 12 months after the second shot. Please reply to the above question to guide you properly.

I took three shots this year. This time, I took the shot on my buttocks, and one of my close ones told me you should have taken it on your arms. So, I was very scared, and I took it in my arms the next day. This is the reason I am worried about overdose. And my overall question is, will the overuse of TT injection cause any problem in vaccine efficiency? Will it work? Am I in danger? All the injections were taken within 24 hours. I am only talking about this month. Please help.

#

I understand now what you are trying to say. There was no need to retake the vaccine in the arm after taking the vaccine shot in the buttock area. The arm's deltoid muscle is the preferred site to inject the vaccine, but it can also be given in the buttock area. This is not according to the guideline of taking an injection TT shot, but I do not think there would be any problem with efficiency or overdose. I would also suggest you check with a physician.

Is there any risk of developing tetanus in my case? My fault was only talking overdose. But both the vaccines were taken within 24 hours. Please advise.

#

The vaccine is given to prevent tetanus. You took the vaccine on time on both occasions, so do not worry about the risk of developing tetanus. Common side effects after taking TT injection include pain at the injection site, redness or swelling, mild fever, etc. But most people do not experience any side effects. Regarding overdose, as I mentioned above, I do not think there would be any problem but get another medical opinion from a local doctor so that you do not get worried.

Thank you doctor for the insight, If not for you, I would have worried about getting tetanus.

#

Grateful to help. Thank you.

|