Q. Please tell me about the causes of headache in a child with thalassemia major.

Dr. Preeti Puranik

My son is thalassemia major subject. His age is 6 months(male boy). His weight is 5. He is suffering from headache and fever every now and then. Some times heart beet is fast. His liver and spleen are enlarged. He has been blood transfusion in one time in last week. Now he is taking folic acid 5mg (flovita )a tablet (1/2)per a day. Kindly suggest if he needs to take any other precaution. Can you please provide a diet chart for my child which can help him to grow up his body.

#

He is suffering from thalassemia major. Here there is destruction of the blood cells due to which haemoglobin becomes low frequently. Hence he will need blood transfusions regularly. He is prone for infections because of low haemoglobin which can also cause fast heartbeat and cardiolmegaly (increase in size of heart) and tiredness. Hence, please consult a good pediatric hematologist who will make a monthly follow up plan for your baby and monitor his growth, haemoglobin levels and start appropriate treatment based on his health condition and reports.

Continue breast feeding the baby. You can give the normal weaning food. Rest will discussed by the hematologist in detail. His low weight gain is due to the low hb mainly and not related to food. If his haemoglobin is monitored and maintained at near normal levels his growth will improve.

|