Q. Please tell me about the causes of headache in a child with thalassemia major.

Dr. Preeti Puranik

My son is thalassemia major subject. His age is 6 months(male boy). His weight is 5. He is suffering from headache and fever every now and then. Some times heart beet is fast. His liver and spleen are enlarged. He has been blood transfusion in one time in last week. Now he is taking folic acid 5mg (flovita )a tablet (1/2)per a day. Kindly suggest if he needs to take any other precaution. Can you please provide a diet chart for my child which can help him to grow up his body.

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Paediatrics
#

He is suffering from thalassemia major. Here there is destruction of the blood cells due to which haemoglobin becomes low frequently. Hence he will need blood transfusions regularly. He is prone for infections because of low haemoglobin which can also cause fast heartbeat and cardiolmegaly (increase in size of heart) and tiredness. Hence, please consult a good pediatric hematologist who will make a monthly follow up plan for your baby and monitor his growth, haemoglobin levels and start appropriate treatment based on his health condition and reports.

Continue breast feeding the baby. You can give the normal weaning food. Rest will discussed by the hematologist in detail. His low weight gain is due to the low hb mainly and not related to food. If his haemoglobin is monitored and maintained at near normal levels his growth will improve.

| 

This is a sponsored video. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content/ad in the video.

I have headache after using Nevanac ophthalmic suspension

Query: Hello doctor, I am 37 years old. I have discomfort and mild pain in the right eye since last four days. The doctor has advised taking Nevanac ophthalmic suspension 0.1 suspension, and Maxmoist eye drops for dry eye. He has advised to take Nevanac one drop four times daily in both eyes, and Maxmoist ...  Read Full »

Does the blood pressure medication could cause headaches?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 50 year old female. I have aches in my limbs and thighs especially at night. It is often characterized by heaviness in limbs. I am getting headache chiefly in left side of the head. I am taking painkiller at least once in a week for the same. I am taking Newtel 40 mg for blood pres...  Read Full »

Which is the best diet for someone with thalassemia major?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a patient of thalassemia major. My first blood transfusion was four months ago. There was no need for blood transfusion before that. I have no idea about my disease and now my blood transfusion has reached a count of eight times, meaning eight units in the last three months. I checked...  Read Full »