Thalassemia Minor

What are the consequences of marrying a thalassemia minor patient?

Query: Hello doctor, My sister's partner is a Thalassemia patient. I would like to know if my sister marries him what will be the consequences? Will my sister suffer from that disease, or will it affect her child in the future?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern and will solve all your doubts. In the attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), that guy suggests thalassemia minor. You need to investigate for thalassemia for your sister as well. Kindly investigate wi...  Read Full »

Can thalassemia minor be inherited?

Query: Hi doctor, My girlfriend has thalassemia minor trait and I am a healthy individual person. If I get married to my girlfriend, is there a risk of this trait for my future children? Please give me some advice. Thanks a lot.  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Thalassemia inheritance is an autosomal chromosome related. In thalassemia minor, one gene is affected. There is a 50% risk in the next generation of having thalassemia minor, as you are completely normal. Chromosomal analys...  Read Full »

Can thalassemia minor be treated?

Query: Health Query : I have thalassemia minor in the blood and I would like to know if there is a final treatment for it and if not, then what would you advise me to improve my health? Symptoms : Paleness,Hair loss&Rapid Fatigue Medication : Folic Acid tablets & Vitamin D capsules (Would like to know h...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi Welcome to icliniq, Well according to your history and complaints I would like to ingorm you that a sure shot cure for this for thalassemia minor is not there at present but yes many treatments for major thalassemias are there which are not at all needed in minor forms. Yes symptomatic treatment...  Read Full »

Husband has beta thalassemia trait and wife is not a carrier. Is it safe for the baby?

Query: Hello doctor, I have done a pre-marital test with a prospective groom and he has beta thalassemia trait and I am not a carrier. Is it safe for pregnancy and child? His hemoglobin count is 13.1 and HbA2 is 5. How safe is this for child's health?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Following is my opinion for your asked question. If you are not having beta thalassemia minor then no need to worry. Your future child can have thalassemia minor. But no need to worry for trait of thalassemia minor. Thalassemia major is the dangerous one in which lif...  Read Full »

Is it safe to get pregnant with thalassemia minor?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30-year-old female. I have thalassemia minor. Is there any problem in the future relating to pregnancy and delivery? Or is it fine to be pregnant at this age with thalassemia minor? Please reply. I dont have any problem now. My hemoglobin level keeps between 10 to 11 g/dL.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thalassemia minor female can get pregnant and can have a child with normal genome without thalassemia or there can be thalassemia minor in children. Thalassemia minor is not a major health disease and do not worry about that even though it is present in your future c...  Read Full »

Can you please go through my electrophoresis report and tell me if I have thalassemia minor?

Query: Hi doctor, Could you please go through my reports and tell me if I have thalassemia minor? I have attached my electrophoresis test reports. Some of the values in the report are Hb F - 0.8 %, Hb adult - 66.0 %, Hb A2 - 30.8 % and other non-specific - 2.4 %.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to the report attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the Mentzer index is not below 13. Usually, in thalassemia, it is below 13. Hb A2 (hemoglobin A2) level is raised, which is seen in beta thalassemia minor as well as in hemoglobin E hemogl...  Read Full »

In thalassemia minor, is HbA1c test a reliable one?

Query: Hi doctor, I am diabetic since last 9 years and thalassemia minor as well. Recently, the fatigue symptoms have increased, especially when I am not able to sleep properly. I am 45 years old. My height is 167.5 cm and weight is 85 kg. Being thalassemia minor, is my HbA1c test reliable to decide my dia...  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The main ailment you are presently worried with is fatigue and sleeplessness or insomnia. Sleep affects our ability to think, react, remember and solve problems. I would like to know your sleep history. How long you have had sleep problem? For how many days at a stret...  Read Full »

Mine and my wife's blood group is B. Will it cause any problem in our married life?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife's and mine blood groups are the same. Both of our blood group is B. Will there be any problem in our married life?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two major blood group systems. ABO - According to this system, the blood group can be A, B, O, AB.  Rh system - According to this system, the blood group can be Rh positive or negative. You have not mentioned th...  Read Full »

Will there be any problem in pregnancy if the couple has same blood group?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old, and my wife is 19 years old. Our blood group is the same, and it is (B+) B positive. Here are my questions: Will there be any problem during pregnancy or any effect for baby? Any tests required to be done for ensuring any problem in the future? Is there any solutio...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not worry about same blood group. It will not create any problem in pregnancy or the child. If you are relative, then genetic counseling is needed. Rule out thalassemia minor before conception. Hope this will help you. Get back with more query if you still have do...  Read Full »

Why do I feel weak and anemic even though my RBC count is high?

Query: Hello doctor, Please find the attachment of my blood report. I am concerned that I may be suffering from anemia. I have fatigue and weakness from many months. I also have a tingling feeling in my legs and hands.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are not having anemia as per the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your Hb level is within the limit. So, you do not require a treatment for anemia. You can have thalassemia minor or a similar condition in which the RBC (red blood cell) c...  Read Full »