Q. I have thalassemia minor. Is there a treatment for it and how to improve my health?

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar
This is a premium question & answer published on May 15, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 01, 2021

I am a 20-year-old male with a weight of 70 kilograms and a height of five feet six inches. I have a thalassemia minor and I would like to know the treatment for it. Please advise. How can I improve my health? I have paleness, hair loss, and rapid fatigue. I am taking Folic acid tablets and Vitamin D capsules.

#

According to your history and complaints, there is no treatment for thalassemia minor currently but there are many treatments for thalassemia major and it is not needed for minor forms. Symptomatic treatment and supportive therapy are advised. To improve your health, I suggest you live a balanced life. Do work and take rest adequately. Take a balanced diet. Do mild exercise regularly. Kindly consult your doctor immediately while noticing new symptoms in you. Be in touch with your treating doctor and get yourself checked periodically including blood tests. The recommended dietary allowance (RDA) of vitamin D is 600 IU/day for healthy individuals and patients with osteoporosis can take a minimum of 1000 IU/day. Check your vitamin B and D levels and then consult your doctor for adjusting its dosage.

|