Q. What is the reason for spotting with positive pregnancy test?

Dr. Prerna Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 12, 2020

I am 19 days late for my period. I got my home pregnancy test positive. But, the next day I had a brown color spotting and yesterday afternoon I had brown color bleeding with heavy abdominal cramps. And today, there is no bleeding, but spotting just like on the first day. I am confused. Am I having a miscarriage? Please explain.

Dr. Prerna Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Please do see a gynecologist as early as possible. You are having a threatened miscarriage.
  • Also, get a scan done to rule out ectopic pregnancy.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

As per your advice we went to a gynecologist, she scanned and told that nothing is visible in the sac and carried out an urine test. The result came positive and so she told us to make a visit again until after a week, then she advised to take the prescribed medicines. We are still confused whether there is any chance of pregnancy or this is a miscarriage. Here I am uploading the reports. Please go through them and advise me.

Dr. Prerna Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The ultrasound report does not look very promising (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • Please get a blood test and serum beta hCG today and repeat after 48 hours. If there is an increase in the value by more than 66%, then we are looking at a viable pregnancy. If not, then it might be a miscarriage or rarely ectopic pregnancy.
  • Do not lose heart as there might be a possibility that you have conceived late in the cycle, hence no sac in cavity seen.

|