Throat Congestion

How are tonsil stones formed?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had some pus leaking in my throat behind my left tonsil for quite some time now, and I had tonsil stones. Sometimes it feels like my throat is closing, and it is hard to breathe. It is hard to swallow and feels like somethings are stuck in my throat like pus or tonsil stones. I...  Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Dentist, Endodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your tonsils look inflamed, and a tonsil stone is noted on the left tonsil (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Different debris types, such as dead cells, mucus, saliva, and food, get trapped over the tonsil and get calcified. Bacterial infection over t...  Read Full »

Please suggest a solution for GERD and rumbling stomach.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 33 years old. From the last few days, I am suffering from GERD. I feel something is stuck in my throat and even if I take water this feeling never goes. Also, I feel a loud sound in my stomach before and after lunch and formations of gas. I took Reblet D, Eristozyme tables and Su...  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Not sure whether the diagnosis of GERD (gastric esophageal reflux disease) is made by you or your physician. By looking at the symptoms it looks like there is increased gastric acid secretion which is giving you the sensation of bloating. Diagnosis of GERD is made if yo...  Read Full »

I have a sore throat and feel a block. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a sore throat but has gone away now. I feel like something is blocking my throat. I look in the mirror and nothing is there. I feel it deep in my throat like it is clear when I breathe with my mouth open but when it is closed, it is blocked.  Read Full »

Dr. Sumaiya Jamil

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know if there is actual swelling outside or inside the throat. If not, there could be following reasons for feeling like a blocked throat. This is called globus pharyngeus which is little inflammation of the throat. The medications you have taken during ...  Read Full »

I have been having episodes of dry cough since 45 days. What might help?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 29 year old male. Since the last 45 days, I have been suffering from episodes of dry cough. 10 days back, I had a 102-degree fever for three days for which the doctor prescribed Paracetamol and a five-day course of antibiotics. The fever improved, but not the cough. I went ...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. You possibly have had a viral infection of the respiratory tract and cough can persist for three weeks after the fever subsides. The white patches usually occur in smokers and are due to persistent inflammation of the throat due to smoking. ...  Read Full »

I have throat dryness and difficulty in breathing. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 21 years old female, 42 kg weight 5'3" height. I have been having a throat dryness and difficulty in breathing and also an abdominal pain. Please help.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.Your workup has to be done as follow:Auscultation.Posterior pharynx examination.CBC.If throat congestion is present than decongestant like Levocetirizine can be prescribed for that. For dyspnea, CBC will rule out anemia if present and it will also help in abnormal respir...  Read Full »

Noticed a growth in my throat. What it could be?

Query: Hi doctor,Yesterday I felt like something was stuck in my throat. Today, I noticed a growth in my throat. I am 43 years old, non-smoker, and drink one to two glasses of wine per month. Kindly tell me what this could be?  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw the photo you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Although there is a lot of reflected light, I can make out that you have enlarged tonsils and edematous uvula. However, due to the reflected light and distortion of natural color, I c...  Read Full »

I have a sticky throat always. Is it a major issue?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a sticky throat always. I feel mucus is stuck in the throat. There is no pain. I can easily swallow.  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If mucus is coming from your nose to the throat, then you seem to have sinusitis. Do you have a blocked nose, headache or excessive sneezing? Revert with more information to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otol...  Read Full »

Why is my congested throat with swollen tonsils not getting cured?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from a congested throat with swollen tonsils (with some white spots on it) since three days. Doctors gave me capsule Cefspan 400 mg, twice a day, tablet Fexet 160 mg, once daily, tablet Brufen 400 mg twice daily, Daktarin oral gel. It is not reducing. What should I...  Read Full »

Dr. Kumar Ashutosh

Family Physician, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from acute tonsillitis. On taking these medicines, infection and inflammation will subside, but the size of the tonsils will not decrease. If you are suffering from this problem often then you should undergo tonsillectomy. If your throat does not get bet...  Read Full »

I often have to clear my throat. Please suggest a cure.

Query: Hello doctor,As part of the season change, I have developed a little rash in my throat. I have to often clear my throat congestion. Nothing else. Please prescribe a medicine for the cure and also some preventive medicine for the next one week so that I will not catch a cold or fever as I have an eve...  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can try the following. You need to do salt water gargling. Rinse your mouth twice daily with an antiseptic mouthwash like Listerine, particularly before going to bed. Take lukewarm water. You may have soups too. With regard to prevention of infection, eat good food...  Read Full »

I feel hard to breathe and gag when I cough. Why?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been sick for about two weeks. Every time I cough it gets hard to breathe feel like something is stuck in my throat and makes me gag. Do you know what is wrong?  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern. Your symptoms might be because of throat congestion and excessive mucus production. I suggest you do gargles with warm water and a little salt added in it three times daily. You can take some antihista...  Read Full »