Q. Is it possible to detect sexually transmitted diseases due to oral sex by a throat culture?

Dr. Albana Greca

Does a normal throat culture swab show throat STDs such as chlamydia, gonorrhea, or trichomoniasis? I had my last oral sexual contact five years back. I do not drink alcohol or smoke. How accurate is the TPHA test? Is it more accurate than the VDRL test for syphilis?

#

I understand your concern.

The laboratory report of throat culture gives a detailed description of what test was done. So please send me the laboratory report to see if the requested tests have been mentioned there. Usually, we ask for a throat culture to identify the pathogenic bacteria in the throat.

The Treponema pallidum haemagglutination (TPHA) test is used to detect syphilis infection. It cannot be detected in primary syphilis infections.

On the other hand, the venereal disease research laboratory test (VDRL test) detects antibodies of syphilis in your body. If positive, your doctor will ask for confirmatory tests such as the FTA-ABS (Fluorescent treponemal antibody absorption test) test, which is more specific for syphilis infection.

All the tests will also be correlated with the patient's symptoms.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

|