Q. A gurgling occurs while breathing in and out. Why?

Dr. Pratik Patil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jun 17, 2019

I am gurgling when breathing in and out, especially when laying down. In the beginning, I had a fever with strong cough and wheezing sound when breathing in and out, after a few days, I am back to normal, but this wheezing turned into gurgle till now.

Dr. Pratik Patil

General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Oncology
#

Take syrup Bromhexine two tablespoon thrice daily for a week. It will produce a cough. Please excrete it out. Also, do steam inhalation thrice a day for a week.

May I know more information about it? And I hope that you got the full picture of it and understand my description. I have also attached some results of tests I did. To be more precise, I am completely fine and normal, no cough, it is just when I sit or lay down specially on my right side on my back, during breathing, a long gurgle feeling happens. If I breathe again, nothing will happen till I change the position, it is like trapped mucus or something I do not know. It scares me, and I want to get rid of it.

Dr. Pratik Patil

#

Yes, this is a pneumonitis which is causing thick purulent sputum in the passage which makes a gurgling sound while breathing in and out. Steam inhalation will make it soften and come out. Also, the other syrup will break it and bring out. I did not add antibiotics because there is no fever. It should settle on this.

To make sure everything is clear, I need to explain within the detail. 10 months ago from now, I had a fever with a cough, and wheezing sound when breathing. After a few days, I got recovered, and I stopped coughing, like usual, but, the wheezing sound became gurgling. In the specific area on my back right side, as you are looking on my back right side in the middle exactly. The location never changed always there, and it is like between ribs and the chest also in the liver area from beginning till now.

Since 10 months, I am completely normal except that gurgling I always feel and hear on that area (no cough at all ), specially when it is pressed on that area or when I am laying down I feel it strongly. I went three times to the doctor specialized in chests, and I did X-ray and ct scan without contrast, and also a lung test, all were fine.

So little information about me, I am overweight, I have never smoked in my life. This makes me desperate. Also, CBC been done and still all fine, I even went to doctor specialized in stomach or colon, he said its related to gas in colon issue. And he said let us make eco test because he was not sure. So I believed I explained the whole story, now doctor, kindly tell me, is it still this pneumonitis you said to me about? As I read about it but I do not know, in the X-ray or CT scan results it says that lung all normal no pneumothorax. If you can please give me full details regarding my symptoms, I will appreciate it, how accurate it could be pneumonitis? Could it be something else? Am I at risk? Is it something dangerous?

Dr. Pratik Patil

#

Your X-ray and CT chest reports are absolute within normal limits (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is a pneumonitis that is triggering the pan and the gurgling sound. Also, the gurgling as you now while changing position could be related to gastritis or GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). So please add tablet Neksium 40 mg (Esomeprazole) ones a day before breakfast to other medications.

I coughed up worm-like mucus. Can it be a sign of worm cast in the right lung?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with flu five days back, it started with a productive cough and then progressed to body aches and fever. Body aches and high fever lasted for about 24 to 36 hours, but I have a constant low-grade fever. I started to feel better after three days, but the coughing was so...  Read Full »

Is Cifran 500 good for mild throat pain and voice hoarseness?

Query: Hello doctor, Is Cifran 500 good for mild throat pain and voice hoarseness?  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for indigestion and intestinal worms.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 48 year old male, who is in good health. I have a long history of indigestion, mostly experienced as a pressure in the throat. About ten years ago, I had a clear endoscopy, and I took Nexium for six months and cut way back on alcohol drinking, which seemed to do the trick. I had...  Read Full »