Q. I am having throat pain, cough and cold. What could be the reason?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

I have sent a picture of my tonsils and back of the throat. Does it look normal? The red circled area concerns me a lot. Kindly advise.

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

The red patch seems to be slightly inflamed. Do you feel throat pain with or without swallowing? Do you have a fever?

| 

I have slight throat pain, and I have a little cough, sore throat, and cold.

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

It is mostly a bacterial throat infection that follows the cold that you had.

I can prescribe medications for you, but first tell me do you have any allergy for any medications?

Do you have any chronic disease?

Are you using any medications regularly?

| 

I do not have any allergies or chronic diseases and not using any medication. So it definitely does not look like anything serious? Can I attach another picture just so you can see rest of the throat and tonsils whether they look normal.

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

It is helpful to send a new picture for the whole throat. Do you smoke cigarettes daily or drink alcoholic?

| 

I smoke cigarettes daily, but I do not drink. I have a little reflux, but not much.

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

There is not any thing serious let us deal with this firstly as a result of the reflux, smoking, and cold.Stop smoking, or at least do not smoke more than five cigarettes daily.Avoid spicy and icy foods. Drink warm fluids. Use anti-acid medication such as Omeprazole once daily before breakfast.Continue the previous lifestyle for three days then evaluate yourself. If the throat pain persists, you can add antibiotic Augmentin 1 gm (Amoxycillin and Clavulanate potassium) twice daily for a week. Also, you have to have some rest and sleep well at night.

|