Q. I am having throat pain, cough and cold. What could be the reason?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
Published on Oct 30, 2019

I have sent a picture of my tonsils and back of the throat. Does it look normal? The red circled area concerns me a lot. Kindly advise.

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

The red patch seems to be slightly inflamed. Do you feel throat pain with or without swallowing? Do you have a fever?

I have slight throat pain, and I have a little cough, sore throat, and cold.

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

It is mostly a bacterial throat infection that follows the cold that you had.

I can prescribe medications for you, but first tell me do you have any allergy for any medications?

Do you have any chronic disease?

Are you using any medications regularly?

I do not have any allergies or chronic diseases and not using any medication. So it definitely does not look like anything serious? Can I attach another picture just so you can see rest of the throat and tonsils whether they look normal.

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

It is helpful to send a new picture for the whole throat. Do you smoke cigarettes daily or drink alcoholic?

I smoke cigarettes daily, but I do not drink. I have a little reflux, but not much.

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

There is not any thing serious let us deal with this firstly as a result of the reflux, smoking, and cold.Stop smoking, or at least do not smoke more than five cigarettes daily.Avoid spicy and icy foods. Drink warm fluids. Use anti-acid medication such as Omeprazole once daily before breakfast.Continue the previous lifestyle for three days then evaluate yourself. If the throat pain persists, you can add antibiotic Augmentin 1 gm (Amoxycillin and Clavulanate potassium) twice daily for a week. Also, you have to have some rest and sleep well at night.

My friend has a throat infection.I was along with him while he had the infection.Could I have a throat infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 15 years old and my friend has a throat infection. I was along with him while he had the infection and now the roof of my mouth and throat is kind of sore. It feels like there is mucus stuck there and I have a weird taste in my mouth. Could I have a throat infection? And if I do,...  Read Full »

What are the signs of tonsillitis?

Query: Hi doctor, My 15 year old daughter always gets sick. When I take her to the doctor, every time he used to say it as viral infection. This is the fifth time in a year she has been sick with the same symptoms. Her symptoms are cough, low fever, sore throat and yellowish white colored mucus covering h...  Read Full »

Will Sinarest help in throat infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a bad throat and unable to speak. I have started Augmentin 625 since yesterday with no relief so far.  Read Full »