Q. I have very painful throat lesions. Is it a fungal or viral infection?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

I am a 34yo man with NO PAST medical history, white throat lesions that are painful, for ten days. I am unable to eat. Was started on Amoxicillin for 7 days and no change. Went to ER two days ago and started on Clindamycin. It is very painful. I cannot eat. Bacterial cultures were taken 2 days ago and negative. Mono quick test was negative. I cannot get into see an ENT until next week. Do you think its fungal or viral? Will attach photos when this site allows me to. I have NO HIV risk and am Not immunocompromised.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Hi Welcome to icliniq

Pictures you have sent are not very clear.it seems like you have uvulitis with follicular tonsillitis This kind of infection should go with clindamycin so you may continue taking it till you meet ent specialist . when you meet ent specialist request him to take throat swab and send it culture sensitivity and gram stain.

Please do not stop any antibiotics abruptly. If after taking clindamycin you feel better, you can even avoid meeting ent specialist

Also you start taking antiinflammatory like paracetamol 1gm thrice daily for three days and decongestant like phenylephrine for five days Do not forget to take proton pump inhibitors like rabeprazole once daily empty stomach ( because all these medicines will cause lot of gastritis) Avoid spicy and cold food items

| 

I stopped Clindamcyin because of rash on arms and torso doctor.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

HI

1) bacterial culture is negative. i understand that part. but sensitivity reports are important to know which antibiotics you are sensitive to. 2)Pictures you have sent are not clear at all( i repeat),i can see infected uvula but tonsils are not seen clearly seen(looks like follicular tonsillitis though). please shine torch in your oral cavity and try to send picture where tonsils are seen. 3)it does not look like fungal infection in picture. Can be viral with superseded bacterial infection. 4)since you have slough over uvula and looks like follicular tonsillitis antibiotic course is must. you have already taken amoxicillin for a week and clindamycin for 2 days and there is no relief in your symptoms, you may start with higher antibiotics like LINID 1200 mg in divided dose per day for seven days along with anti-inflammatory, decongestant, proton pump inhibitor. 5)Best is to get culture sensitivity done if not starting on any antibiotics and want to wait till you meet ent specialist personally.

|