Q. Why does my throat infection persist despite taking medication?

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 24, 2022 and last reviewed on: Jan 09, 2023

I got a heavy cold last month, and since then, I have developed some problems with my throat.I consulted an ENT specialist who detected pharyngitis. Medicine is going on. But the throat problems are still existing.

The problems are:

1. There is a jam in the throat.
  2. Difficulty swallowing.
  3. Feeling a heavy thing inside my throat getting stuck.
#

I understand your concern.

We need a laryngoscopy to rule out any lump or growth inside the throat. Most often, it will just be a manifestation of reflux.

Finish the current course of antibiotics and then start on a proton pump inhibitor tablet to be taken twice daily before meals. Couple it with an antacid syrup to be taken after meals.

Adhere to some lifestyle and dietary changes and take precautions. Please write back to us if you need more details regarding any of these. In the query, please attach your previous prescription medication list so that we know what has yet to work for you. In addition, please upload a picture of an open mouth showing details of the posterior pharyngeal wall.

Sinusitis also can lead to symptoms like those in you. Sinusitis additionally will produce headache, nose block, running nose, post-nasal drip, etc. Do let us know if you suffer from any of these also.

|