Q. I have constant throat pain which hurts more on swallowing. Kindly help.

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

I always have pain in my throat. Doctors suggested different types of antibiotics Augmentin 625, Ceftum 500, and Cefix 200. But not much improvement. In my last visit doctor diagnosed me with chronic pharyngitis. It can be due to allergy or acid reflux. No need for antibiotics, and it is not an active infection. I get very little chills and a low-grade fever (max.99.2).

#

What sort of pain is it? Is it present only while swallowing? Is it getting relieved when you do anything? Do you smoke? Is there any change in voice? Do you feel anything stuck down the throat?

In your pictures, I cannot find any active infection. It was unnecessary to take all those strong antibiotics. Most likely, you have a reflux laryngopharyngitis that needs antihistaminics, and proton pump inhibitors for a long term, say one to two months. You will need to take some precautions and lifestyle changes as well.

Do revert with more information. Once a decisive diagnosis is made, I can suggest the medicines to you.

My pain is a kind of irritation, and it hurts sometimes. Yes, I have pain while swallowing. The pain is permanent, and it comes and goes. I do not smoke. I feel something has stuck in my throat, and my voice also gets heavier sometimes. Please suggest medicine.

#

You have reflux. Take the following medicines.

1. Tablet Raciper 40 (Esomeprazole), one tablet before breakfast for two weeks.

2. Tablet Vozet 5 (Levocetirizine), one tablet in the evening for two weeks.

3. Duonase nasal spray, two puffs each nostril after breakfast for two weeks.

Avoid spicy, oily foods, citrus, and cold foods. Avoid dust and smoke pollution. Do not drink a lot of water immediately after a meal, and do not lie down immediately after a meal. Do not fast. Eat timely food. Increase the frequency of having food but reduce the quantity each time.

Follow the above measures and revert after two weeks. You will need a review and further medicines. Depending on your progress we will have to taper the medicines but not stop it fully.

I forget to mention that mostly half a day, I have a very mild running nose and pressure in ears like plane pressure. And very mild chills associated with it. My fever remains 98.9 to 99.1.

#

Ignore the temperature part for now. If it is persistently above 99 and goes to 100s, then let us know.

The nasal issue will be taken care of by the nasal spray and the tablets I mentioned in the previous reply. In the pictures shared by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I could see thick post nasal drip and understood you have nasal symptoms. That is why I included the medicines for those as well.

Nasal issues and reflux are related, and both go hand in hand. We need to address both to give a complete solution. The ear pressure is also due to rhinitis. Do not do the Valsalva maneuver until your treatment is complete.

Do not take cold water or spicy oily foods. Take steam inhalations two times daily. If you feel feverish, take Dolo 650 (Paracetamol 650), and then you will be better.

|