Q. It is hard to swallow and breathe due to swollen throat. What should be done?

Dr. Surabhi Chopra
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 28, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 04, 2019

My throat is extremely swollen, and it is hard to breathe and swallow, I am in a lot of pain because my lymph nodes are swollen and it is making my ears hurts, my neck is swollen. I believe my tonsils are swollen, but it is hard to tell as my neck is so swollen and I cannot open my mouth that wide with it being too painful, and I am getting migraines due to this pain. Should I consult a doctor?

Dr. Surabhi Chopra

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

According to the symptoms you have mentioned in the query, you are having a severe acute exacerbation of chronic tonsillitis.

1) Pain in throat, difficulty in breathing and swallowing point towards an acute follicular tonsillitis.

2) Enlarged lymph nodes indicate this is not the first episode, but you might be facing this problem at regular intervals. This means this is a chronic condition.

3) Ear pain is a referred pain in your case. This means there is no local ear pathology or ear problem. The glossopharyngeal nerve (9th nerve) gives out branches to both ear and throat, so sometimes a pathology of the throat can lead to earache.

My advice will be to visit an otolaryngologist in your town and have your throat examined.

1. Start on antibiotics, Amoxycillin plus Clavulanic acid combination tablet (625 mg) or you can try Cefuroxime plus Clavulanic acid (500 mg) to be taken twice daily for five days.

2. Analgesics are important to relieve pain and swelling. Diclofenac or Aceclofenac tablets with Paracetamol twice daily after meals is a good option.

3. An antacid should be taken along with analgesics since Analgesics can lead to gastric irritation.

4. Warm saline gargles with Betadine three to four times a day provide a soothing effect.

If you are suffering from such episodes more than three to four times per year, it is advisable to get your tonsils removed by surgery, ie tonsillectomy done.

If the disease is not responding to the above treatment, I will advise you to get an investigation called throat swab done by your doctor.

I have throat pain. What do I do?

Query: Hi, My age is 29 years. Yesterday I drank ice cold water in the afternoon. Since today morning I am feeling pain in the throat, body pain and laziness. Please suggest medicine for the same.  Read Full >>

Dr. Sugandh Garg

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Start tablet Azithromycin 500mg once a day for three days after meals. Take tablet Paracetamol 500mg thrice daily for the pain relief. Drink plenty of water.Drink warm liquids. Gargle with warm salt water twice a day.Avoid cold, sour, junk, fried, oily, fatty foods a...  Read Full

I have difficulty in breathing during orgasm. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21-year-old. My question is whenever I have an orgasm, the muscles and veins on my chest goes down, my arms get weaker and give difficulties breathing at night. I am always spitting out bloody snorts and having trouble in swallowing properly for few days, or sometimes even few w...  Read Full >>

Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, I feel that there is some problem in either your lungs, heart, or blood. Weakness with difficulty in breathing after orgasm indicates that your stamina is less. The cause for low stamina can be some problem in your blood or lungs or heart. Spitting ou...  Read Full

Can blood problem cause dark circles in the body?

Query: Hello doctor, Two years before, I got tested my whole body and blood. There are some dark circles that appear on my body and I am getting treated regularly, but still, my blood has some problem. I get PT and INR tests done regularly.  Read Full >>

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand from your post that you may have a blood clotting tendency. Have you ever had pain or swelling in your calf muscle and difficulty breathing? You may be prone to blood clots in your lungs which is called pulmonary embolism. So, if you ever experience symp...  Read Full