Q. My platelet count is low for the past one month. Please guide me.

Dr. Mubashir Razzaq Khan

My platelet count is low for the past month, between 115000 to 130000 platelets per mcL, which I found during my regular body check-up. I do have any previous issues related to this. Please guide me.

#

Your counts are clinically insignificant. Low platelet count is also called thrombocytopenia.

In grade 1 thrombocytopenia, platelet count ranges between 75000 to 150000 platelets per mcL. No action is needed. Just follow-up is enough.

In grade 2 thrombocytopenia, platelet count ranges between 50000 to 74000 platelets per mcL. Do not panic and investigate the cause. Top of the line cause is usually nutritional deficiency, chronic infections, or some drug-induced destruction.

In grade 3 thrombocytopenia, the platelet count ranges between 25000 to 49000 platelets per mcL. Possible causes might be septicemia, ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura), bone marrow infiltration.

In grade 4 thrombocytopenia, the platelet count ranges between 5000 to 24000 platelets per mcL. No platelet transfusions are needed. Frequent monitoring of the patient is necessary. Causes include acute ITP, septicemia, DIC (disseminated intravascular coagulation), TTP (thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura), acute leukemia, and aplastic anemia.

In grade 5 thrombocytopenia, the platelet count falls below 5000 platelets per mcL. It is a critical level of platelets and needs hospitalization and immediate platelet transfusion. However, tablet Eltrombopag is superior to platelet transfusion in most cases. Causes are the same as those of grade 4 thrombocytopenia.

|