Q. Could you please explain the reason for pain in my penis?

Dr. Raman Tanwar
Published on Oct 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2019

Hi doctor

About 11 weeks ago, I had unprotected sex when drunk. I have been tested and all clear. But, from the next day I had throbbing, dull ache on the penis. Then after two weeks, I realized a vein under my shaft on the right side had become inflamed. I can no longer masturbate or touch it without feeling intense pain. It hurts and does not feel right since the incident. In the mornings, I feel a dull ache as soon as I wake up. I am afraid that I will never be able to have sex or masturbate again as it is so much bigger than the other side. It does not match up its kind of look. I have read about Mondor's disease and varicose veins. I was freaked out, because there is no cure for varicose veins. Could my penis really be damaged forever? I am so lost and upset. Can give me some advice based on the pictures? Thank you.

Dr. Raman Tanwar

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com,

• The problem seems to be acute thrombophlebitis (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It can be cured with a course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory agents.
  • If the need arises, then be it can be excised with a minor surgery as well. We do not need to worry at this time.

For further information consult an andrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/andrologist

If I masturbate or touch it sexually, it hurts for weeks. I am so scared and at the point of doing something stupid I am so worried. It has been going on for three months and I have no idea when it will end. What to do to make the vein normal again? Could you tell me why does it hurt so much in the morning for the first one hour when I wake up? Is this condition the same as inflamed lymph channels? Could you tell me what surgery would involve and how I would go about getting it? I am slowly going insane with worry.

Dr. Raman Tanwar

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

• The inflammation of the superficial veins is caused by many factors. Usually, it subsides with anti-inflammatory agents and antibiotics.
  • But, in many cases, which are not managed adequately in the initial period, the blood clot blocks the veins and may take a long time to recanalize. In many cases, the vein has to be ultimately excised, so that the pain goes away.
  • In the morning, there are nocturnal erections that take place during the REM (rapid eye movement) phase of sleep. This causes stretching of the vein and subsequent pain.
  • This condition does not appear to be the same as inflammation and blockage of lymphatics. Compared to that condition or varicose veins, it is much easier to manage.
  • Surgery will involve simple excision of the painful vein and you can get it done by a urologist. The procedure would take 30 minutes and you can be discharged the same day.

Grafted unhealing leg wound opened up after 12 years. Is it varicose veins?

Query: Hi doctor, Around 12 years back, my unhealing leg wound was cured by multiple skin grafting. Now, after 12 years the wound opened up. Reason is unknown. Is it varicose? I have attached the latest snaps.  Read Full »

I am having heel pain and inflammation from stepping on a nail head.Is this due to a bone contusion or did I damage any ligaments?

Query: Hello doctor, I stepped on the head of a nail a week ago. Now, every time I step on that part of my heel, I get this sharp, searing and burning feeling. Is this a bone contusion or did I damage any ligaments? What happened? Thank you for giving me an audience; it's extremely appreciated.  Read Full »

Will varicose veins cause any complications during endoscopy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been recently diagnosed with varicose veins in my left leg. I also have multiple heart problems which are right bundle branch block, bicuspid aortic valve, high blood pressure, and patent foramen ovale. I also have Barrett's esophagus and this week, I am going in for an endosco...  Read Full »

Ask an Andrologist Now