Thumb Injury

I need your opinion about the need for surgery for a thumb injury.

Query: Hi doctor, Basketball hit my mother's left thumb and there is a regular pain for some two years now. The skin becomes harder in that area. Also, that arm becomes thinner as compared to the other arm. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Palanikumar Chellamuthu

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. When was the basketball injury and how was it treated immediately? Was there any x-ray or doctor visit at that time? If so, kindly send them. The two recent x-rays (attachment removed to protect patient identity) seem to suggest first carpometacarpal joint arthritis, whic...  Read Full »

How to get rid of pain in the thumb due to excess straining?

Query: Hi doctor, I would like to ask for your advice about the pain at the base of my right thumb. I suspect this is the result of what I did back before two months, I always squeeze a lemon fruit using my hands. This pain started last month and still continues to this day. I feel pain when I stretch o...  Read Full »

Dr. Mudabbir

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I totally understand that you are suffering from first metacarpophalangeal joint arthritis. This condition occurs when you involve in repeated twisting motion of the thumb. This is partly confirmed by the vague bulge at the joint region. I would suggest you to get an x-...  Read Full »

After a fall injury, I get frequent pain in wrist and thumb. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, Why has my wrist and thumb been hurting more frequently? Two years ago I fell on my thumb hyper-extending it and fracturing it in the process. Doctors that I have gone to said I have tendonitis in it now and that is why it hurts in the first place though no testing has been done to co...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It can very well be tendonitis or some kind of arthritis secondary to damage. I think you should undergo MRI of lower forearm and hand so that we will confirm the diagnosis of tendonitis and rule out other pathology. Regarding management you can better try topical antii...  Read Full »

My thumb got cut and has a huge scab. Will it heal?

Query: Hi doctor, The tip of my thumb got cut, and a little amount of bone was exposed, but not damaged. We used a clotting powder, and it formed a huge scab. Will it heal?  Read Full »

Dr. Noushif M

General Surgeon, Medical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like you have a deep soft tissue injury. You need to take care of the following three things. Keep the area clean to avoid infection. Remove all the dead or non-viable tissues. Avoid applying any inert substances, as it may slow healing. Hope it is clear for you...  Read Full »