Q. I have pain in right thumb due to excess of squeezing lemon. Please help.

Dr. Mudabbir

I would like to ask for your advice about the pain at the base of my right thumb. I suspect this is the result of what I did back before two months, I always squeeze a lemon fruit using my hands.

This pain started last month and still continues to this day. I feel pain when I stretch open my palm. The thumb is in pain when I use it. I do not feel so good because I cannot play table tennis and the piano because of this. Can you help? Your advice is greatly appreciated.

#

I totally understand that you are suffering from first metacarpophalangeal joint arthritis. This condition occurs when you involve in repeated twisting motion of the thumb. This is partly confirmed by the vague bulge at the joint region. I would suggest you to get an x-ray of the hand once to confirm the same.

Meanwhile, I would suggest you with treatment protocol.

Repeated usage of the joint.

X-ray hand AP, lateral.

Rheumatoid nodule.

Arthritis of first MCP joint.

Tablet Lornaxicam and Paracetomol BD after food for one week. Tablet Rabeprazole 20 mg OD before breakfast for one week, tablet Tendofit forte BD after food for one week, Diclofenac sodium gel twice a day for local application, hot fomentation twice a day.

Do not use the same thumb at least for two weeks.

Review with reports.

|