Q. Can my wife discontinue taking thyroid medication since her thyroid levels are normal?

Dr. Thiyagarajan. T

My wife has had thyroid for seven years. She got pregnant three years back. She had tablets Thyronorm 100 mcg during the entire pregnancy period and before that. I am attaching two reports taken three years back. Last year she took another test, her levels were low (reports attached). The gynecologist suggested not to stop abruptly and prescribed a tablet Thyronorm 88 mcg. Yesterday we took another test for review, and the results are attached for your perusal. Kindly suggest whether she should continue or stop because the results, as you will notice, are low.

Kindly advice.

#

I recommend (consult with a specialist doctor, talk with him or her and take medicines with their consent) decreasing the tablet Thyronorm (Levothyroxine) dose to 50 mcg daily. I suggest you repeat TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone levels) and FT4 )(free thyroxine) in three months.

Any plans for pregnancy in the near future? If yes, then continue the same dose. If you cannot get a 50 mcg dose or have too many 88 mcg tablets with you, you can take 88 mcg only four days a week. Do you have the initial reports?

Thanks for your response.

#

Thanks and take care.

|