Q. My free T3 and thyroid peroxidase levels are high. Do I need to take thyroid medications?

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

My free T3 level is 17.6 pmol/L, thyroid peroxidase Ab is 509 IU/ml, plasma-c reactive protein 54.8 mg/L. I would like to get a prescription for thyroid, if needed. I am currently on Bisoprolol 1.25 mg.

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

You have hyperthyroidism means increased thyroid hormones. Your TPO (thyroid peroxidase) is also increased.

How are your symptoms? Like tremors, loss of weight, nervousness, etc.? How bad are your symptoms? Do you have pain in front of your neck?

Have you done TSI? Do you have any eye problems like protruding eyes or fever?

With this scenario, two things are possible.

1. Hyperthyroidism due to thyroiditis as your ultrasound shows (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

2. Hyperthyroidism due to autoimmune diseases as your TPO is positive. If you have a fever, pain in the neck, and it started a few days back, most probably it is thyroiditis, and you need some pain killers like Brufen for pain and fever and a beta-blocker like Bisoprolol as you are taking. But if there is nothing that sort, then you may need anti-thyroid medication as well, like Neomercazole, and recheck your TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) FT4, FT3 after four weeks.

So I need more details about your problem. Do you have any swelling in the neck? Is it painful? Do you have fevers? How long do you have it? Any other symptoms like tremors, shaky hands, and weight loss and how severe it is?

| 

I started having front neck pain about a month ago, and then my neck started swelling, and the problem was too much. I saw GP here, and they prescribed me Prednisolone for seven days to reduce the inflammation and pain. I finished the course yesterday. After the first dose of Prednisolone, I was feeling better, and the swelling is gone now.

My voice is changed from last month. And after taking Bisoprolol, my heart rate are nearly 93. Apart from that, I do not have any other problem at the moment. I do not know if I have hypothyroidism or thyroiditis. Do I need any further tests or medicine?

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Your history shows you have thyroiditis. Your ultrasound shows the same, and high CRP also is in line with thyroiditis. Thyroiditis can cause temporary hyperthyroidism with low TSH levels and high T3 and T4 same like you have.

You have thyroiditis (one cause of hyperthyroidism). You need to continue Bisoprolol as it helped you to control your symptoms. In thyroiditis, the thyroid gland, which is in the front of the neck, gets swollen and inflamed, and this gland discharges thyroid hormone into the blood, and the patients become hyperthyroid. However, the gland quits taking up iodine (radioactive iodine uptake is very low), and hyperthyroidism generally resolves over the next several weeks.

Patients frequently become ill with fever and prefer to be in bed. Thyroid antibodies are not present in the blood, but the sedimentation rate (which measures inflammation) is very high. Although this type of thyroiditis resembles an infection within the thyroid gland, no infectious agent has ever been identified, and antibiotics are of no use. Treatment is usually bed rest and Aspirin to reduce inflammation.

Occasionally cortisone (steroids, which reduce inflammation) and thyroid hormone may be used in prolonged cases. Same, you were also given steroids. Nearly all patients recover, and the thyroid gland returns to normal after several weeks or months. A few patients may become hypothyroid once the inflammation settles down and will need to stay on thyroid hormone replacement indefinitely.

Recurrences are uncommon. So I advise you to repeat all your tests TSH, FT3, FT4, CRP after about a month, and please let me know TPO antibodies you can repeat after three months if everything is fine.

Continue your Bisoprolol with the same dose, but if your heart rate is going up more than 100, you can increase it to 2.5 mg. Otherwise, continue with the same dose. The only worry is your TPO is high, which you need to repeat it because some patients with high TPO may go on to develop hypothyroidism later.

|