Q. I have a small round itchy area in my buttock. Can you suggest a medicine?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am having a small round area in the buttock that is causing itching. I had a similar itching area two to three times last month, and it was cured by applying Dermikem OC Max cream. I find today there is another itching area, and the photo is attached. These are some queries in this regard. What is the reason for these itching areas in the buttock? Whether the cream I am using is fine or any other cream should be used? Is there any medicine that I can take for this? Please mention the dosage.

I am looking forward to your reply. Thank you.

#

Do you have any other family members affected?

I am looking forward to your response to help you.

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

I leave separately in a room having an attached bathroom. The other family members use their bathrooms. I do not think this issue has anything to do with other members.

#

You are suffering from Tinea corporis. It is a communicable disease. Since you have applied Dermikem OC (Terbinafine, Clobetasol, Ofloxacin and Ornidazole), which contains steroids, it becomes the most resistant form of infection known as tinea incognita (I am 100 percent sure that no dermatologist would have prescribed it).

Please take the following medications and revert to me for three weeks.

1. Capsule Itaspor (Itraconazole)100 mg twice daily.

2. Tablet Teczin M (Montelukast sodium and Levocetirizine) once daily.

3. Terbinext (Terbinafine) cream, in the day time.

4. Nailrox (Ciclopirox Olamine) cream at night.

Few precautions:

1. Stop sharing objects.

2. Stop scratching.

3. Iron your undergarments daily to destroy fungus and spores. I hope it helps. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you so much for your reply.

I want to know more details about the medicines prescribed. What is the use of these medicines Itaspor and Teczin M? Should it be taken before or after a meal? Should I take this medicine for all three weeks? What is the use of these creams, Terbinext and Nailrox? Should I stop using this cream if the itching area cures earlier? If not, then where should I apply this cream once the itching area heals? How serious is the problem looks from the image that I sent? Please allow one follow-up question if I do not find any of the above medicines or any issue after using the above medicine.

#

Let me answer one by one,

1. It is an antifungal and works by killing the fungus, should be taken after a meal, and preferably with lemon water. Yes, for three weeks.

2. It is antihistaminic and will help you in relieving the itch. It can be taken at any time and yes for three weeks.

3. You are supposed to apply the creams as long as the marks are there, so keep using it even if the lesion is subsided.

4. Tinea incognita is a serious problem because of the relapse as steroid applications make it resistant to normal doses of medication.

Nevertheless, 95 percent are responding well; we are having problems in the remaining 5 %. I am providing you a free follow-up. I hope it helps.

Thanks for the reply. I am mentioning my experience with the medicine that you suggested and the current situation as follows. I have taken Itaspor 100 mg twice daily for three weeks. The Teczin M was not available, and I had Teczine once, but it made me feel drowsy and hence stopped that. The Terbinext cream was not available, and I was using only Nailrox cream twice daily or when itching was felt.

The initial itching area in the buttock disappeared after some days of starting this medicine. Then there were few other itching areas in the buttock area, and that also disappeared. I had one small itching at the bottom of my leg, and that also reduced with applying the cream. However, two days back, I felt another itching area in the buttock and using the cream over that. I also find some small pimple-like things at the end of the buttock yesterday and applied Nailrox cream over that. These are some queries I have in this regard. What should be the next course of treatment in this regard? Whether this itching problem will cure permanently, or it will appear in time duration? Can I continue using Nailrox cream whenever I feel any itching? Should I use Terbinext cream, or only Nailrox is fine? Can you suggest any alternative to Terbinext if not available? Should I continue Itaspor tablets for any more time? Can Itaspor be retaken for some time if this problem happens again after a few months?

#

Let me answer one by one,

Please take the following medications:

1. Tablet Zimig (Terbinafine) 250 mg once daily for one month.

2. Tablet Teczine M once daily for one month.

3. Lilituf (Luliconazole) cream, once at night.

This is an infectious disease, so you can get affected if not taken proper care of. After medication are over, I have provided you a gap of two weeks to look for the relapse; after that, I would start phase 2, which would be the last if no relapse is observed. Could you revert to me in six weeks? I hope it helps. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

| 

Why am I having lot of white pimples on buttocks?

Query: Hello doctor, My buttocks got some skin disorder. It is filled with a lot of small white pimples and it gets dead and skin became very bad. It looks very dirty and I feel very uncomfortable. No itching no pain sometimes rarely feels itchy. In my teenage, it stared I guess. Now, I am 28 years old. P...  Read Full »

I have multiple itchy lesions all over my body. What can they be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 72 years male, who weighs 66 kg and I am 166 cm tall. I have multiple itchy lesions all over my body which responses temporarily to oral steroids. RAST test showed I am allergic to dogs and cats. My dermatologist diagnosed it as type 3 hypersensitivity (IgG mediated), and I am no...  Read Full »

Scaly and itchy rashes on my ankle does not subside with Penicillin. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a skin rash on my ankle. It has been there for six months now. I have tried Penicillin, steroid antifungal cream, and cider vinegar as well but it is slowly getting bigger. It is itchy with scaly flaky skin. I feel some fluid inside the red raised dots when I scratch it. It star...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»