Q. I have itchy red spots around my chest and shoulder. Is it ringworm?

Dr. Deepti Shukla
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 13, 2020

I have an itchy and big circular red spot on my back. I discovered it three days ago. And then yesterday, I also noticed more small red spots around my chest and shoulder. Is it fungal infection or ringworm? What is the best or fast remedy for this? I used to have these before when I was younger and was not a fan of topical cream, as I feel like it does not entirely kill its roots.

#

Do not worry, dear. I will help you with your concern. From the history, it seems you have developed ringworm, which is also known as tinea corporis. Tinea is a kind of superficial fungal infection, which increases with sweating. Also, it has a tendency to recur if not treated properly.

Dear, I need to see these rashes to assess the severity and decide the dose and suggest your treatment accordingly. Please share a photo and also mention if you are taking any medicine for any other illness so I can rule out medicine interaction. Do not worry, I will start you on a proper course of antifungal treatment, and this ringworm will resolve in a few days.

Thanks and regards.

Thanks for the response, I am not taking any medications right now. I am only applying Nizoral cream for five days now and do not see any improvements. I have attached photos of my skin. It started with the big circle on the back, and when I started applying the ointment, I then observed new ones on my chest and some on my abdomen.

#

Thank you for sharing photos <attachment removed to protect patient identity>.

This is tinea corporis. I will suggest oral and topical antifungals.

• Tablet Itraconazole 200 mg - one tablet daily after breakfast for two weeks.
  • Tablet Fexofenadine 180 mg - one tablet daily at night for ten days.
  • Sertaconazole cream - apply two times daily on rashes for three weeks.

You will see improvement in ten days but do not stop the medication, or the infection will recur. Do not miss taking the tablets and follow-up in two weeks.

Thanks and regards.

Thank you for replying. They only have 100 mg for Itraconazole. How should I proceed? Can you generate an online prescription for me?

#

No problem. 100 mg Itraconazole can be taken twice daily for two weeks. Try to get Sporanox brand, as it is effective. As we are from different countries, I cannot generate a prescription. I would suggest you get a prescription from your GP and then buy the medicines.

Thanks.

I will consult my GP and get the medicines. I have attached a photo. Can you please tell me if this is the right cream? Thanks.

#

Yes, this is the cream <attachment removed to protect patient identity>. But, preferably go for the Onabet brand. Thanks.

| 

Itching and Scabies

Article Overview: Itching is an unpleasant sensation, where an individual has a desire to scratch his or her body. Read Article

Dr. Rabia

What Is Itching? Itching is an unpleasant sensation, where an individual has a desire to scratch his or her body. Itching can be caused due to many reasons. We divide itching into two types depending upon the duration, acute and chronic. What Are the Types of Itching? Acute Itching Acute itching...  Read Article

Scaly and itchy rashes on my ankle does not subside with Penicillin. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a skin rash on my ankle. It has been there for six months now. I have tried Penicillin, steroid antifungal cream, and cider vinegar as well but it is slowly getting bigger. It is itchy with scaly flaky skin. I feel some fluid inside the red raised dots when I scratch it. It star...  Read Full »

The Manifestation of Ringworm Infection and Its Treatment

Article Overview: I would like to ward off the most common misunderstanding among many people and that is ringworm is not an infection caused by any worm. Ringworm lesions are the most common and also one of the cosmetically annoying fungal lesions. To get to know the ringworm well, we need to go through the basics of it. Read Article

Dr. Narendra

Ringworm is a fungal infection, which is called tinea in medical terms. Ringworm, as the name suggests, is the name derived from the pattern of the lesion that develops in this disease. There is a ring-like lesion at one or more sites over the body. The sites could be anywhere in the body like scalp...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»