Q. The rash on my leg itches, and the itching increases every day. Please help.

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty

I have a red round rash on my leg. I have attached the pictures. What do I do? I also have itching in that part, which increases daily. I am currently not on any medication. This started five months back. Please help.

#

I understand your concern.

As per your history and the images (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), it is Tinea corporis. Tinea is a fungal infection affecting various parts of the body and spreads fast, and is contagious. Although it is not a life-threatening problem, it is a skin infection that completely goes away, therefore, do not worry. Tinea appears for multiple reasons, including sweating, decreased immunity, contact with an infected individual or sharing of belongings, and stagnation of moisture, especially after a bath when complete towel drying and airing is not ensured.

I suggest the following:

1. Ketoconazole soap is to be used twice daily. It has to be used after lathering with water and applied only on the affected parts and not on normal skin. Keep the lather on the affected area for 5 minutes and wash it off. In the rest of the areas, a normal soap can be used.

2. Terbinafine cream is to be used twice daily on the affected areas alone. After taking a bath with soap, the towel dries the areas well. There should not be any moisture and then apply the cream. Make sure to wash your fingers well with soap after applying the medication on the affected area, or you may also use gloves to apply and make sure the cream is well absorbed.

3. Terbinafine dusting powder. It has to be used in the afternoon and evening. Dust the powder on the affected area. Moisture should not be kept stagnant.

4. Capsule Itraconazole 200 mg once daily is to be taken after food for four weeks, preferably at night.

5. Capsule Becosule Z (vitamin B complex, zinc) is to be taken once daily after food in the morning for two months.

6. Tablet Cetrizine 10 mg is taken one hour before going to sleep for three weeks. Make sure not to go out or drive after taking the tablet, as some individuals may feel sleepy after taking the tablet. It is for reducing itching.

7. Sweating has to be avoided. Dab the area well with a towel or tissue and keep the body dry. Make sure to wear loose clothing and air dry under a fan for a few minutes each day to let the moisture dry up.

8. Make sure nobody at home has similar lesions. If yes, they need to be treated as well. Also, make sure not to share any of the belongings, including towels and combs or dresses, with each other as it may spread from person to person.

9. Even a small lesion takes almost a month to go away and heal completely. However, since the lesions are widespread, it would take a few months to go off completely. Therefore consistency is the key as it may take some time to heal. Do not worry. It will heal slowly and effectively with proper treatment.

However, follow up after four weeks to update me on your progress.

|