Q. I am diabetic and have a fungal infection for the past 25 years. Please suggest a permanent cure.

Dr. Deepti Shukla
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 04, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 08, 2020

I am a 57 years old man. I have fungal infection between my leg joints for the past 25 years. I am controlling it by applying Canesten S cream after taking a bath in the morning every day. Is there any medicine that can cure this condition entirely? Can I live without medication?

Dr. Deepti Shukla

Dermatology Venereology
#

Do not worry, and I will help you with your concern. History suggests you have tinea cruris that is a type of fungal infection. First of all, please stop applying Canesten S (Beclometasone and Clotrimazole) cream as it contains a strong steroid that will damage your skin and worsen your infection. I need to start you on proper antifungal treatment. Do not worry, as the disease will resolve in a few days. But before I suggest tablets and cream, I need to ask you a few questions to decide the dose of tablets accordingly.

• Do you have diabetes? If yes, then which medicine are you taking for diabetes?
  • Do you have blood pressure?
  • Are you taking medicine for any other illness?

Please revert with answers and a photo of the rash, if you are comfortable, to suggest your treatment accordingly.

Thanks and regards.

| 

Thank you for your quick response. Please find below the answers to your questions. I am also attaching the photos of skin rash areas for your reference.

I am taking diabetes medicines for the past 10 years. The following are the medicines that I am taking now, Gemer 1 g (1-0-0) and Glycomet SR 500 (0-0-1). I am taking medicine for blood pressure for the past 10 years. The current medicine is Telz 20 (1-0-0). I am also taking medicines for cholesterol and thyroid for the past 10 years. The doctor's prescription with all medicines is attached to this reply.

I am looking forward to your response eagerly. Thank you.

Dr. Deepti Shukla

Dermatology Venereology
#

Thank you for sharing photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and detailed history.

You have tinea cruris. Diabetic patients are more prone to develop this fungal infection. Also, they take a little more time to get cured of this infection. So continue your diabetic medicines and keep your sugar under control.

Now the treatment plan for tinea cruris is:

1. Tablet Terbinafine 500 mg - one tablet daily at night, after food for two weeks.
  2. Tablet Allegra (Fexofenadine) 180 mg - one tablet daily at night for ten days.
  3. Tablet Zinfate (Zinc supplement) - one tablet daily after dinner for one month.
  4. Onabet cream (Sertaconazole) - apply daily at night for three weeks.

You need to follow-up in two weeks.

Do not worry; you will see improvement in ten days, but do not stop the medicines until I suggest. Otherwise, the infection will recur.

Thanks.

|