Q. I have dry, white, itchy, and flaky widespread patches in the groin. Please help me.

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Laul
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 08, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 11, 2021

I have itching in my groin for the past three weeks. I have tried using a Itch guard. But there is no relief and the affected areas are becoming black. Please help.

#

Please mention whether you are doing excess scratching and rubbing of the lesion. Please mention whether you have intense itching. Please mention whether you have excessive sweating and whether you use tight inners. Please mention whether you are using razors on it. Please mention whether you have wet or moist body areas. Please mention the extend of involvement and mention whether it is widespread. Please mention the nature of the first appearance and mention your previous treatment details. Stop using an Itch guard (Benzyl alcohol with Terbinafine hydrochloride) as it worsens the lesion.

I have excessive itching with dark flaky areas. I am not using razors and I do not use tight inners. It is widespread. I started to have itching five weeks back and I have used only an Itch guard. My skin has become dry and flaky.

#

You seem to have a fungal infection (tinea cruris). Do not use an Itch guard. You can use Luliconazole cream twice daily for 15 days. You can take tablet Terbinafine 250 mg once at night after taking dinner for 15 days. Please mention whether you have any liver issues. If you have a liver issue, then do not take terbinafine. You can take tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg at night for 15 days. You can use an antifungal body wash Dersil AF (Ketoconazole) daily to get healed from the active lesions.

Use Abzorb powder (Clotrimazole dusting powder) after taking shower. Wear loose-fitting well-ventilated cotton inner-wear. Avoid having friction, occlusion, sweating, heat moisture, injury, and maceration in that area. Try to stay in a well-ventilated area. Take bath twice a day. Keep your towel and soap separately. Try to change your bed linen and towels frequently. Do not share your personal belongings as they can spread to your family members. Wash your clothes separately in hot water.

Do proper washing and ironing to kill the fungal molds. Keep the area dry as moist area favors fungal growth. Use dry clothes. Wash the area with lukewarm water. Clean and dry it. After that, apply the cream with clean hands. Maintain good hygiene. Avoid using Dettol as it can cause some irritation. Avoid scratching or rubbing the lesion as it may cause secondary bacterial infection. You can use Miconazole ointment in the evening daily for 15 days.

|