Q. I have severe itching between inner thighs and testicles. What could cause this?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I have a severe itchy testicular area and the area between my inner thigh and testicle. It is painful and sometimes itching. I have seen no lesion except the one that seems lighter in color and like a dry 1 cm in diameter. I used some antifungal cream and Cortisone cream but no improvement because I am a health care person (dentist). I was searching for Chlorhexidine cream online so that it will kill both bacteria and fungi. I found Chlorhexidine wipes for pets, so I bought them. Now the itching is better but still not gone, and the lesion is still there. I want to know what is it, and what could cause this?

#

Thanks for the query. I can understand your concern. Your statement has been suffering from severe itching in the testicular area and the area between thigh and testicle.

According to the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) provided here, you may suffer from Tinea cruris, commonly known as jock itch, caused by mold-like fungi dermatophytes. The infections cause a rash that often itches or burns. The affected area can be red, scaly, or flaky.

Taking scrapings of skin cells from the area for microscopic examination will help diagnose and exclude the other causes like psoriasis.

You can apply topical Econazole cream twice daily on your affected area with taking Itraconazole orally one daily. Using baby powder around your groin may prevent excess moisture. Avoid wearing tight-fitting clothes and strictly maintain personal hygiene. I hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Thanks for your reply.

Shall I stop using Chlorhexidine wipes?

#

Thanks for joining us again.

Well, Chlorhexidine contains a large amount of alcohol (70%) and is flammable. Do not use it on the skin area regularly. It can cause redness, irritation, itching, and swelling in the applied area. So it will be wise not to use on your affected skin area. I think the medications mentioned above will be enough to heal your jock itch. Use the medications mentioned above until your lesion is fully healed. Take care. If any other query, knock me, and I will try to reply to you further.

|