Q. I notice lot of brown patches below my left armpit with stinky sweat. What could it be?

Dr. Subhash Kashyap

I am a 42-year-old male, non-smoker and non-alcoholic.

For the last two months, I am noticing lots of brown patches below my armpits of the left hand and nothing much on the right hand. And off late I could sense I am sweating (armpits) which I never had before. Will you please consult on this issue?

#

What I can make out from your history is that you are having brown patches over the left armpit for two months. I want to know no other symptoms in this lesion like if they pain or burn? Are they increasing in size or same since their start? Any other family member having such lesions?

Please send a clear photo.

Send history as asked and photo.

| 

No, I do not have any pain or burn. But I feel sweating sometimes and it stinks a bit. It has not increased nor decreased in its size. I am staying in abroad for the last seven years, and I visit my family only once in a year.

Not sure, if it is related, some eight months back I used a public washing machine, but I was using it for the last seven years. I have attached my picture.

#

After going through your history and images (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I concluded that it is tinea versicolor, a fungal infection.

Precautions:

Avoid sweating.

Clean with Ketoconazole soap daily.

Dry apparels in sun.

Take capsule Itraconazole 400 mg stat (single dose) after a meal. Repeat after three weeks. Use Sertaconazole cream twice daily for three weeks. This fungus is a normal resident of our body but increased sweating and weight gain may lead to patch formation. With medication fungus is killed and controlled but lesion may take a few weeks to recover.

Sweating and fungus.

KOH if possible.

Acanthosis nigricans.

Tinea Versicolor.

Antifungals.

Avoid sweating.

After four weeks.

|