Q. I have a fungal infection that is not getting cured for the past seven months. Why?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

I had sex with a sex worker a few years back. After few days, I tested negative for HIV. I am going through many reputed websites, and they mentioned six months of HIV test needed for confirmation for a particular case. I have a fungal infection (Tinea) for the last seven months, and it is not curing. I am taking treatment from many Dermatologists, but I did not get any relief, the skin infection persists, and I also observed that I have sweating at night, mostly in the head region. My question is will I have a severe immune disorder that affects my HIV test for antibody result for three months? I have hyperhidrosis, sinus problems (excessive sweating and sinus in my family) from my birth in my past medical history. As per discussion with my mother, I was suffering from TB, pneumonia, typhoid, and asthma in my childhood. Nowadays, I am easily prone to infections like cold and skin problems. I am getting a fourth-generation HIV test after three months. Is this test useful for all severe immunosuppressive people? If you think I need to re-test, then which test shall I go for?

#

The fourth-generation test is almost confirmatory after three months. But in case of doubt, you can repeat the fourth generation ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) after six months, and if it comes negative even after six months, then there is no need to worry. You are HIV negative. As you said, for fungal infection, we need to confirm the exact cause of it? Is it fungal or something else? Why is it resistant? I need to evaluate it. There could be any other cause for it, like wrong treatment. Do not keep the area wet. Use powder frequently to keep it dry. Avoid itching and do not scratch. Change the undergarments regularly. Do not apply any general or steroid cream like Betnovate (Betamethasone Valerate) etc. Do not stop the medicine once you get cured. Continue medicine to completely kill the fungal infection. Avoid excessive sweating and wet clothes. Check diabetes. Diabetes is one of the common causes of resistant fungus. Send photos and treatment history for further evaluation of this. Maybe you have an immune disorder by birth (HIV is not the reason for that). I need to investigate further for that. You might have eosinophilia or other allergic diseases. Because of that, you get cold.

1.Fourth-generation ELISA.
2.Complete blood count (CBC) -Just to see your eosinophils, and cells count.
3. Send photos to examine fungal infection.

|