Q. I have tinnitus after being exposed to loud noise. Will it ever go away?

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 26, 2021

I have tinnitus after being exposed to loud gun shots, as well as a firework being set off only a few feets away from me. The ringing is only in the right ear. It is the fourth day now that it has been going on. I cut steel for a living, and I do wear earplugs at work. But, the additional loud noise is causing more damage to my ears. Will my tinnitus ever go away?

#

Since it is due to recent exposure to loud sounds, there is a good chance that the tinnitus will resolve.

You might have to take some steroid tablets or injections inside the ear to relieve any inflammation around the nerve. Also, it becomes pertinent that you get a pure tone audiogram to check the hearing as well.

You are advised to take some good multivitamins for a few weeks. And, continue using ear plugs at the workplace. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.

If in the long run tinnitus does not resolve, then we have some medications and devices which help relieve tinnitus. But right now, you may need some immediate measures to resolve the issue.

It may be a temporary development which with adequate medications and attention will not turn into a permanent one.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|