Q. I think I have tinnitus and I am scared to visit a doctor. What to do?

Dr. Satyabrata Panigrahi
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 21, 2021

I have a problem with my ears. I always hear sound at night and I get distracted due to it. I think that I have tinnitus. Still, now, I have not consulted the doctor as I am afraid to have MRI and CT scan.

#

Tinnitus can occur due to many reasons. It can occur due to simple wax deposition or tumors. Please mention whether you listen to loud music using earphones for a long time. Please mention whether you feel pressure in your ears. Kindly follow some tips to resolve your issue. Avoid having a noisy situation. Do not use earphones and take calls on speaker mode. Try to divert your mind from sound and concentrate on other environmental sounds. Try to hear natural sounds from our environment. Keep your mobile away from your bed. Stop taking caffeinated drinks like coffee, tea, and alcohol drinking. Do not smoke. You can start doing Bhramari pranayam. Excellent results can be observed. Do steam inhalation and drink lukewarm water frequently. If you have time, you can do immittance audiometry and pure tone audiometry test by consulting an audiologist. Have a follow-up with your results.

|