Q. My tinnitus has worsened. What is my chance of recovery?

Answered by Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Tinnitus or Hearing Problems? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am looking for a second opinion. I got tinnitus from loud noise three weeks ago. Most of the time the noise is constant 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. Yesterday morning I experienced my best day as the noise seemed to reduce to a 2. However, it went back up to a 3 and 4 again yesterday afternoon and most of today. I did see an audiologist several days who examined and tested my hearing. No hearing loss was found, and he said my ears looked healthy. He was optimistic in saying I should improve in the coming weeks. Should I be concerned that the loudness returned? And do I have a good chance of recovery being that no hearing loss appears to have occurred?

I am currently on Bactrim for rosacea, Provostatin for cholesterol and took steroid Prednisone for five days for ears.