Q. Tinnitus worsening mom's anxiety. What might help her?

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Tinnitus or Anxiety? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My mother is in a care home and is experiencing very loud tinnitus. She is becoming very stressed and anxious as this has been going on for months. We have asked her GP to help but it does not seem that anything can be done. She has had her ears cleared but this has not helped either. She is 89, on beta blockers, and recently prescribed a water tablet in place of a blood pressure tablet that is known to cause tinnitus but the problem is still ongoing. My question is, would it be advisable to ask for something like Propranolol or similar to be prescribed as she is very distressed? Do you think this would help to keep her calm and perhaps help with tinnitus which I am sure is made worse by her anxious state? She is very deaf now and finds it difficult to wear her hearing aids as she has a perforated ear. Can you help as this is very distressing to see her in this state? Thank you.