Q. How to judge a person wisely?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 16, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 21 year old male. I am usually little under-confident in judging someone. Whether known or a stranger, objectively it is really difficult for me.  Please give me some tips regard this. I mean it to be as general as possible.

#

• Every person has numerous traits or habits. A person is sum total of his thoughts, words and actions.
  • When you think of judging a person, it is making a global judgment.
  • If you really need to be objective, you need to judge a person's actions, habits and thoughts individually.
  • But, I get what you mean to ask. Here are my thoughts on it:
  1. Judge a person by how much he contributes to the welfare of others.
  2. Judge a person on the basis of his thoughts. It is only thought which defines an individual.
  3. Judge a person by his actions in the past and present.
  4. Judge on the basis of how he treats his subordinates, because there is only way of treating the boss.
  5. Judge on the basis of his behavior during crisis, not when things are going great.
  6. Judge on the basis of what he does for the welfare of others, not on the basis of how much he earns.
  7. Judge on the basis of his common sense, not his qualifications.
  8. Judge not on his looks, but on how he makes others feel.
  • Another thing to note is that, it is neither wise nor necessary to judge people all the time.
  • No one has perfect judgment. Because, judgment is subjective and based only on available facts, not on the whole truth.
  • Besides, it can make us prejudiced unnecessarily. Also, people change with time.

For further information consult a psychologist counsellor online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychologist-counsellor

Thank you for your help. These points will be greatly appreciated in case where I have to judge. If you would be so kind, I would also request for a tip to look past my own past judgment when trying to understand someone's action or motivation.

#

• You could write down in a diary about the times when your judgment about a person went wrong or was not useful. It will remind you that you are not always right while making judgments.
  • You could write examples when other people's judgment about you or someone else went wrong.
  • Whenever your past judgment makes you prejudiced about a person's actions, you can open the diary and read about an example of misjudgment or when being judgmental was not useful.
  • This will reduce your conviction of your past judgment and with time and effort; you will be able to look past your past judgment.

|