Tips To New Mothers

I am not able to achieve proper latch and quantity of my breast milk is also low. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am not able to achieve proper latch and quantity of my breast milk is also low. Need help for both, please suggest. My baby is 3 weeks old.  Read Full »

Dr. Vinodhini P

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would be very glad to help you. Because being a mother of two, I could very well understand your state of mind now. This is a common problem that most of the new mothers face at this point of time. First of all sit back and relax, do not take too much of stress. Be...  Read Full »

My newborn spits up large amount of milk after feeding with no fever. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 14-day-old baby girl. She is exclusively breast fed, and has been known to spit up quite a bit after every feeding but her pediatrician said it may just be my milk flow is too fast and she is swallowing a lot of air. Her stools are usually orange with stringy bits in it, bu...  Read Full »

Dr. M.l.kothari

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to me hold the baby in one arm keeping his head at the elbow joint and the buttocks in the palm of the same arm and feed the baby for 15 to 20 minutes. Hold the outer palm of the baby in between the thumb and index finger and press the palm whenever the ba...  Read Full »

How does stress influence breast milk production?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby girl is around 15 days old. I have had a normal delivery. At first, when she was three days old till the eighth day, I had engorged breasts with full milk but later there was a sudden drop in the supply. What might be the reason? Will the hot summer influence breast milk product...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Rama Thute

Child Health Specialist, Lactation Counselor, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand the problem which you are going through. During breastfeeding period if there are any stressors (like excessive worry regarding the baby, sudden demise in the family) it decreases the prolactin reflex in the body and hence reduces the milk output. There are...  Read Full »

Please suggest a solution for a baby to sleep through the night.

Query: Hello doctor, My 18 month old baby is not sleeping throughout the night. How do I get him to sleep through the night? Also how do I get him to stop breastfeeding?  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash Nagar

Paediatrician, Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems your baby has not yet developed day and night cycle, or she might get hungry at night and gets up for feeds. I hope she is growing well and must have attained her normal mile stones for the age. No medication is required to make her sleep. You can continue b...  Read Full »

When can we expect baby to use sippy cups?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know the signs to notice in a baby when he/she is ready for a sippy cup. What are the milestones that a baby needs to meet before they can be ready for a sippy cup? Explain the reason for each milestone or give examples for each milestone and why it is important for a ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Parmar

Paediatrician, Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For sippy cup baby should have developed some gross motor and fine motor milestone. Baby should be able to sit without support so that it reduces the chance of aspirations and better suck swallow coordinations. For fine motor milestone, he/she should able to develop ...  Read Full »

Please suggest a solution for a 5-month-old baby who is not sleeping properly.

Query: Hello doctor, My 5 months old baby boy is not sleeping well. He will sleep maximum for one hour continuously. Always he will have disturbed sleep. He used to be awake the whole night. I am breast feeding him. Kindly advise why my baby in not having a peaceful sleep.  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no particular reason for the same. It has been noted that in cases where children are exposed early on to the mobile screen, the sleep cycle may be disturbed. Also, you have to note if the child has any blocked nose or coughing that may be disturbing his sle...  Read Full »

How to correct inguinal hernia in a 4-weeks-old baby?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 4 weeks old baby boy. He was healthy without any pain or colics. But yesterday I noticed a swelling in his inguinal area, I went to the hospital, and the doctor said he had left inguinal hernia. But it is not bad. The problem is he is not taking feed regularly, and when I try...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the way that you are describing, it looks like this is your first baby. Please note that the weight of your baby is perfect, and all the phenomena that you described are completely normal at this age group. But the hernia is definitely a concern. It is probably...  Read Full »

How to break the habit of thumb sucking in a 9 months old baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My 9 months old baby boy is addicted to thumb sucking while sleeping and other time also. What to do to break the habit of thumb sucking?  Read Full »

Dr. Sajeev Kumar

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The habit of thumb sucking by the babies is related to probably lack of breastfeeding, and sometimes it is seen as habitual sucking. It is reported to be due to a lack of care and insecurity are also the reasons. You can gently remove his thumb whenever you see and ...  Read Full »

Is it normal for a newborn to pass loose stool during or immediately after breastfeeding?

Query: Hello doctor, My new born baby passes loose stools during breastfeeding or just after breastfeeding for the past three to four days. Sometimes it is very small amount. But he passes stool daily for about 10-15 times. Sometimes it is in the form of foam. Yesterday onwards, I am giving him probiotic....  Read Full »

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

General Practitioner, Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Newborn babies may pass stools immediately after feeding. This is a normal reflex. If your baby is passing stools quite often and is feeding well, has got sleep after feed and passes enough urine, i.e., six to eight times in a day and gaining weight, then you need n...  Read Full »

I have conceived after trying for five years. Should I be on bed rest?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 34 year old female in the seventh week of pregnancy. I have conceived five years after we started trying for a baby. My blood, urine, and ultrasound test results are normal. But, my doctor has advised me a complete bed rest till the 12th week. Could you please comment? Is bed r...  Read Full »

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? There is a big misconception in the minds of many patients and sadly some doctors too, that rest is going to help pregnancy a lot. Let me explain. I do not see any risk factors in you. The age of 34 years is not too high. We do advise complete bed re...  Read Full »