Tips To New Mothers

Please suggest a solution for a baby to sleep through the night.

Query: Hello doctor, My 18 month old baby is not sleeping throughout the night. How do I get him to sleep through the night? Also how do I get him to stop breastfeeding?  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash Nagar

Paediatrician, Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems your baby has not yet developed day and night cycle, or she might get hungry at night and gets up for feeds. I hope she is growing well and must have attained her normal mile stones for the age. No medication is required to make her sleep. You can continue b...  Read Full »

When can we expect baby to use sippy cups?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know the signs to notice in a baby when he/she is ready for a sippy cup. What are the milestones that a baby needs to meet before they can be ready for a sippy cup? Explain the reason for each milestone or give examples for each milestone and why it is important for a ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Parmar

Paediatrician, Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For sippy cup baby should have developed some gross motor and fine motor milestone. Baby should be able to sit without support so that it reduces the chance of aspirations and better suck swallow coordinations. For fine motor milestone, he/she should able to develop ...  Read Full »

Please suggest a solution for a 5-month-old baby who is not sleeping properly.

Query: Hello doctor, My 5 months old baby boy is not sleeping well. He will sleep maximum for one hour continuously. Always he will have disturbed sleep. He used to be awake the whole night. I am breast feeding him. Kindly advise why my baby in not having a peaceful sleep.  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no particular reason for the same. It has been noted that in cases where children are exposed early on to the mobile screen, the sleep cycle may be disturbed. Also, you have to note if the child has any blocked nose or coughing that may be disturbing his sle...  Read Full »

How to correct inguinal hernia in a 4-weeks-old baby?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 4 weeks old baby boy. He was healthy without any pain or colics. But yesterday I noticed a swelling in his inguinal area, I went to the hospital, and the doctor said he had left inguinal hernia. But it is not bad. The problem is he is not taking feed regularly, and when I try...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the way that you are describing, it looks like this is your first baby. Please note that the weight of your baby is perfect, and all the phenomena that you described are completely normal at this age group. But the hernia is definitely a concern. It is probably...  Read Full »

How to break the habit of thumb sucking in a 9 months old baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My 9 months old baby boy is addicted to thumb sucking while sleeping and other time also. What to do to break the habit of thumb sucking?  Read Full »

Dr. Sajeev Kumar

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The habit of thumb sucking by the babies is related to probably lack of breastfeeding, and sometimes it is seen as habitual sucking. It is reported to be due to a lack of care and insecurity are also the reasons. You can gently remove his thumb whenever you see and ...  Read Full »

Is it normal for a newborn to pass loose stool during or immediately after breastfeeding?

Query: Hello doctor, My new born baby passes loose stools during breastfeeding or just after breastfeeding for the past three to four days. Sometimes it is very small amount. But he passes stool daily for about 10-15 times. Sometimes it is in the form of foam. Yesterday onwards, I am giving him probiotic....  Read Full »

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

General Practitioner, Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Newborn babies may pass stools immediately after feeding. This is a normal reflex. If your baby is passing stools quite often and is feeding well, has got sleep after feed and passes enough urine, i.e., six to eight times in a day and gaining weight, then you need n...  Read Full »

I have conceived after trying for five years. Should I be on bed rest?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 34 year old female in the seventh week of pregnancy. I have conceived five years after we started trying for a baby. My blood, urine, and ultrasound test results are normal. But, my doctor has advised me a complete bed rest till the 12th week. Could you please comment? Is bed r...  Read Full »

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? There is a big misconception in the minds of many patients and sadly some doctors too, that rest is going to help pregnancy a lot. Let me explain. I do not see any risk factors in you. The age of 34 years is not too high. We do advise complete bed re...  Read Full »

My 45 days old baby is fussy and aggressive while I feed her. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby girl is 45 days old. She is fully breastfed. At many times, she seems to be fussy and aggressive while I nurse her. I rule out either the possibility of milk being too fast or too slow since on both occasions she seems to react the same. After being fussy, she appears to be on and...  Read Full »

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a common problem most mothers will face. The success of breastfeeding involves the participation of both mother and baby. Both of you have to learn to feed. I suggest you a few tips for a successful breastfeeding. Let your baby lie in a straight line. Both baby...  Read Full »

I am uncomfortable with my baby getting attached to my mother-in-law. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am not sure if this is the right category to post my question in. My problem is with my mother-in-law. Or maybe the problem is with me, after all.My baby boy is now 8 months old. He is a handful most days. He is not the type that plays by himself and he gets bored really quickly. He ...  Read Full »

Dr. Padmapriya Chandran

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from an adjustment disorder. The anger and frustration are due to your new role as a mother. A mother-child bonding is unique. Nobody can separate your son from you. Of course, he belongs to you. But, he is also her grandchild and hence it is alright...  Read Full »

Can I use fan or AC for my 3 days old baby?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a new mother delivered a 3.7 kg baby boy through C-section before three days. I stay abroad and came to my mom's place only for delivery. As it is getting hot now, I am feeling tough and dehydrated. People around me say that I should not put the baby in AC room, directly under the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.You can use both fan as well as AC (air conditioner) according to your wish.Only thing is you need to keep your baby little away while using the fan as your baby's nose might get blocked. So, using AC is the best option.There is no special precaution required. As usual kee...  Read Full »