HomeAnswersGeneral PractitionertoenailI was cutting my toenails. Will they grow back?

Can the toenails grow back normally?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At March 2, 2024
Reviewed AtMarch 2, 2024

Patient's Query

I was cutting my toenails with nail clippers and I did not realize how much I had cut. But now I am worried if my toenail will grow back or not as it feels uncomfortable.

Please help.

It is common to accidentally cut the nail too short, especially when trimming toenails. In most cases, the nail will eventually grow back, but it may take several months. If you are concerned about the appearance or shape of your toenail, you can try the following:

1. Soak your feet in warm water with Epsom salt to soften the nail and make it easier to trim.
  2. Use a nail file or emery board to gently shape the nail instead of clippers.
  3. Apply a moisturizer to the area around the nail to prevent cracking and dryness.
  4. Wear shoes with enough room in the toe box to prevent further injury.

I hope this helps. Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Vandana Andrews
Dr. Vandana Andrews

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

nail growth

Ask your health query to a doctor online

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy