Q. I get burning sensation on my tongue with some red spots. Can this be due to acid reflux?

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

I had a burning tongue for a while and some patches on my tongue. At the moment, my GP put me on medication for acid reflux, and that seems to help with the burning tongue. However, I still have some small red bumps on the side of my tongue, and they have not got away. The burning tongue was going on for a few months (around four to five months). The red spots have been there for a month now, and it got me quite worried. I cannot visit a dentist soon, and I would appreciate some help.

#

I understand your pain and shall surely try to help the best way out.

First of all, I think your GP has got the right point. It was due to acid reflux that is why the medicine is helping you out both ways. Acid reflux is one important cause of the burning tongue as the acid coming out repeatedly irritates your tongue.

For the remaining red bumps, I would suggest a few things, kindly follow.

1. Drink and rinse your mouth with cold water.

2. Avoid hot and spicy foods as much as possible until the bumps are gone.

3. Applying honey to the area can help reduce pain. You can also go for pain killers like Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen if the pain is unbearable.

4. Suck on ice chips if possible.

5. Wrap crushed ice in a thin cotton cloth and put it on affected area.

6. Keep rinsing mouth on and off so that there are no food accumulation.

|